n00b UT Online Deathmatch question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• n00b UT Online Deathmatch question

I just played UT online for the first time, got on a server (VIANet) with a 168ms ping. Scored a few quick frags, then got disconnected. Tried to reconnect, connection refused. Does this mean I was kicked? :eek: I didn't offend anyone!!!

Then I went onto Telstra Games Arena, and even though I'm with Optus I scored a 134ms ping :D, and it's full of peeps moaning "****ing Lag!!!" with ping times of 300ms+... on Telstra ADSL!!! :D

So can anyone give a UT n00b some advice on online deathmatch? :confused:
    What came first - Insanity or Society?

Well, you can see whether or not you were kicked in the console...... I doubt you were. It is possible you connected to a private server, in which case, they were dumb enough to have the server send out a heartbeat... in which case, the might have kicked and banned you.

Thats all I can say

Comment

OK - thanks for that mate! I went back on Telstra's servers and played a bit after that, they seem rather polite there (even thought there are several LPB's to contend with) ;)

[EDIT]Posted by Albinus, st00pid login problem :mad:[/EDIT]

Comment

Also, I have an embarrassing confession to make. I found a game on Datafast's servers, joined and played for 30 minutes or so. The guys were excellent, about the same calibre as myself. But there were no taunts, no comments about lag, no nothing. I thought "These guys must be pretty hardcore", but when the match ended it became perfectly clear. I was playing against 3 bots!!! :o

I think so, because my ping time came up as 182ms, and all the others came up as 0ms. Is this a bot? On Telstra's servers everyone comes up with a ping time higher than 30ms...

So the bots are incredibly lifelike - I wouldn't hesitate to say "goodbye" to them at the end, I wouldn't feel silly as they're so realistic! :thumb:

Comment

lol!
          hey i'm an even newer newbie.. where can i find these services? (i havent played a fps online since i last played counter-strike. which was like 2 years ago)

Comment

Synthetic, you go into the main menu and choose "Find Internet Game". Then a list of servers will download, will take a few minutes on dialup. Go for one with a low ping, anything below 250ms is cool, but under 200ms is better :thumb:

Comment

yea i meant the specific servers you were talking about. i thought you might of had to go to a site first or somethin

Comment

You can indeed do that Synthetic, all UT servers use port 7777 to connect. Generally you go to an ISP's website and look for a "Games" section and find the UT server's IP address :)

Comment

Xis are still gettin all that **** worked out atm i think:(

Comment

Originally posted by Synthetic
                    Xis are still gettin all that **** worked out atm i think:(

You don't have to use XiS servers, any ISP is fine :)

Well a good server is Datafast's, try pinging games.datafast.net.au and see what pings you get - I got 135ms, if you get less than 200ms give their server a go :thumb:

Comment

yea i know. i was just sayin, they're still working theirs out.

Comment

Working...
                      X