Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing XP - HELP!!!!!

hey y'all - really hoping someone can shed some light

i though i'd install windows xp professional and boy have i had problems. i tried doing a clean install and an upgrade from 98SE but have had nothing but blue or black blank screens!!! arrrgghhh
    why is it so???? i just dont know - suspect its a hardware prob but the XP upgrade report didnt pick up anything and i've ried disabling a few things

my specs:

AMD 1.4G processor
    ECS K7VZA motherboard
    256M RAM
    30G HDD
    Pioneer DVD-116 16x
    Ricoh CDRW MP7060S
    Tekram DC-315U SCSI adapter
    Surecom 10/100 ethernet adapter

Would appreciate any advice or comments

hooroo

What is runnin' off your SCSI card? :?:

Comment

problems could come from faulty ram, bios, hd, cd, cd drive, overclocking

good luck

Comment

first thing to do is to make sure you have the latest bios on your motherboard
        http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

At what point in the installexactly do you encounter problems? During XP itself or after when you are installing drivers?

Comment

a total guess - could be to do with "press f6 to load alternate hard drive drivers" type message you get when starting the install?
            You may need to provide your own drivers for the scsi at this point...or something like that

perhaps:)

mildew

Comment

I had a similar problem. I did an unattended install and it worked even with the black screen.

Here is the procedure for that (credit for the procedure goes to some web site I can't remember.)

To perform an unattended installation, you just need to work with the Setup Manager, which is located on the Windows XP CD-ROM in D:\SupportTools\DEPLOY.CAB by default: Extract the contents of this file and you'll find a number of useful tools and help files; the one we're interested in is named setupmgr.exe. This is a very simple wizard application that will walk you through the process of creating an answer file called winnt.sif that can be used to guide Windows XP Setup through the unattended installation.

rename unattend.txt to winnt.sif

Then, just copy winnt.sif to a floppy, put your Windows XP CD-ROM in the CD drive, and reboot:

Set boot sequence to: CD, Removable drive, i.e., floppy, HD

When the CD auto-boots, it will look for the winnt.sif file in A: automatically, and use it to answer the Setup questions if it's there.

In my case: IT INSTALLED WinXP to G: drive the first time!!??? [C, D, E, F] and [G]. So, do not do a complete auto install.

Finally, please remember that this will wipe out your system! Back up first, and spend some time with the help files in DEPLOY.CAB before proceeding.

hope this helps..

Comment

Don'tcha just LOVE these guys who come in for help and then never reply to their own thread..............NOT!!!

Comment

Working...
                X