nforce 2 ram problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nforce 2 ram problem

i was told that nfroce 2 boards need the same brand, model, and size of ram. why is this?

Because the nForce2 board uses dual channel memory controllers for increased bandwidth. Just like RAID arrays always work better with identical hard drives, the same ideal holds true for the nForce2 boards. You can use different types, but odds are pretty good you'll be plagued by instabilities.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

People seem to have had some problems with mixed ram on nForce 2 boards, but I'm using an Abit NF7-S with a stick of Kingmax 333/ 512 m/b, and a stick of Transcend 333/ 256 m/b- I've never had any problems (unless I put in the Triplex Xabre 400, but thats a diffrent story).
      I'm not worried if I'm not using dual-channel ram- the diffrence isn't worth it.......

Comment

Originally posted by Black Rain
        People seem to have had some problems with mixed ram on nForce 2 boards, but I'm using an Abit NF7-S with a stick of Kingmax 333/ 512 m/b, and a stick of Transcend 333/ 256 m/b- I've never had any problems (unless I put in the Triplex Xabre 400, but thats a diffrent story).
        I'm not worried if I'm not using dual-channel ram- the diffrence isn't worth it.......
        do you mean Dual-Channel Mode? if you are then i dont know where you got that from as it is a improvement over Single Channel.

Comment

I certainly like the extra 4.5% performance increase that dual mode offers over single mode in benchmarks but that performance increases when I do my usual everyday multi-taskin'.

Comment

Oops! Yep,Thoric, I ment dual-channel mode. Hell, I don't even know how to tell if its running in dual or not! I suprised that it would make 4.5% diffrence, but I'll beleive you Wiggo. I just wanted Cicero to know that mixing ram might not result in horrid instability problems (notice I said might).

Comment

Working...
            X