I find this hard to believe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I find this hard to believe

Yesterday I was surfin, dl'ing, editing images, posting, swapping files, playing MP3's, etc.,etc.,etc., -generally all=around making good use of my system. And of course UD was operating in the background the whole time.

Well when I went to bed I configured the system for "UD mode" ie. connect and disconnect automatically, monitor powerdown after 5 minutes etc.

Well when I woke up, first thing - give the ol' mouse a wiggle to wake the monitor, make sure UD is going OK. No problem, crunching away:thumb:

So's I go to the good ol' System Information utility (Win98 SE) and it tells me my system resoures are at 33%:eek:

Is that even remotely possible?? I mean come on, I've never gotten below about 64% before. Admittedly a couple things got a little dodgy during the session - but nothing that required a reboot or anything.
    I'd think that at 33% I would have had a serious lock-up or most likely a BSOD - but the system was still going OK. It did merit a reboot, I knew that before I used the Sysinfo. But you know, have to time that just right to take as little a hit on the UD tim as possible.

So what do you think, a software glitch, or does this PC deserve some kind'a Windows endurance medal?
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

while we're on this subject ive got this lil prob:
    At the request of wiggo ;)

Comment

its possible, any lower and it'll probably crash...
      thats why you use win2k/winxp:)

Comment

Yes that's happens when ya been usin' a lot of apps as it happens here quite regularly so after a [H]ard day of crunchin' progs I always restart to clear the memory and regain those resources. It's just a natural Win9x thing and btw I've had mine down to 21% but still runnin' even if a bit slow. ;)

Comment

I'm aware of the phenomenon/curse of Windows 9x.
          I just never would have thought it would even run at 33% free resources -- but 21% you say:eek:

you got a real "never say die" system there:thumb:

must have been the bidding at eBay that brought the system so low:laugh:
          The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

i think win9x crashes after like 10%...lol

Comment

Originally posted by aznx
              i think win9x crashes after like 10%...lol
              Test that theory :p.

Comment

LOL...just press the Windows + E buttons & hold them for agez...that'll soon take it down!

Comment

Originally posted by Grim Reaper
                  while we're on this subject ive got this lil prob:
                  I don't like the look of that service thats running - almost sounds like some sorta bot.

I'll check out at home to see if I'm running that service
                  http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

Originally posted by Kheldar

I don't like the look of that service thats running - almost sounds like some sorta bot.

I'll check out at home to see if I'm running that service
                    It has me freaked actually:eek:

The only reference I have found to CoolSrv.exe anywhere on the web is in some Swedish OC forum, and I have absolutely no clue what is being said in there.

I am very afraid

Anybody got an answer for Grim Reaper!!

If it is a bot of some type, it is a very poorly coded one at 99% CPU utilization.

Comment

k, thanx guyz

another thing, when i End Task it, another task opens up saying it uses 97-99% of my CPU then i switch to the performance tab & its down to what it usually is...the new task that opens up is System Idle Process...

Comment

Just thinking out loud now -

is that some type of CPU idler/cooler programs perhaps?

Comment

...was wondering that, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. C
                            Just thinking out loud now -

is that some type of CPU idler/cooler programs perhaps?
                            BANG!

Think you hit the nail right on the head there, Mr. C.

Grim just recently installed a software CPU cooling program :).

Comment

Whew!
                              That's a relief, I was rather worried for Grimster.

Comment

Working...
                              X