2500+ Overclocking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2500+ Overclocking

hey guys, just got hands on my TT Silent Boost and 2x Panaflo 80mm case fans.

first q, i use AS3 and i was kinda hoping for lower temps, after a couple of days these are the temps: Case 17c, CPU 45c, and Socket diode is 34c. Its my understanding that the closer the CPU/Socket temps the better the hsf? Ive also seen around here about someone getting it a 2500+ to 3200+ speeds with a Silent Boost and the temps around 45c.:confused:

I also tried overclocking, however with Optimal settings, 200x10.5 (3000+ speeds) @ 1.75v worked OK. when i tried to get it to 200x11 it screwed itself over with "IRQ not LESS EQUAL" errors. I have also read around here that 2500+'s should be able to get to 3200+ easily, and with not much extra voltage. Correct?

My computer specs are below, and my bios revision is 1005. any suggestions or answers would be greatly appreciated. thanks :thumb:

Well, depending on your ambient temp, those temps might not be that bad. One question, do you have your own temp diode to measure the cpu, is that what the 45C temp is? And the diode is the temp your mobo is giving you?

I'd try taking it off, cleaning everything up with rubbing alcohol (A3 comes off really easy) and remounting it with a fresh coat of AS3. Sometimes you can put on too thick or too thin a layer and the TIM application canr eally hinder performance. If not, check to see if it could use a good lapping. If you see any marks or anything on it, check out my roughnecks lapping guide here:

Comment

my room temperature is about 18 degrees celsius.

when i got my new HSF i cleaned the CPU really well, taking my time and doing it properly with alcohol swabs. Also the Silent boost was very flat and clean...i didnt think it needed to be lapped.

also i forgot to point out, i have 4 case fans (2 blowing in, 2 blowing out) and my psu has one blowing out and one blowing in (over the CPU)

when i got it to 3000+ speeds @ 1.75v the temperature on the actual CPU diode raised to about 55c.

well the 2500+ has a diode built in, thats what i call the "CPU" temp (45c). the "Socket diode" is an actual diode built into the m-board itself and is under the CPU in that square there.

Comment

If you want to oc the 2500 a little higher than that - I personally might do a *small* hsf upgrade to a vantec aeroflow. Personally my 2600+ @ 19c room temp idles at 37 and 42 under load. That temp is at a fsb of 210 and a multiple of 10.5 with a stock vcore. Your Asus mobo, just like mine probably oc's great. You might also try lapping the silent boost if the bottom isn't perfectly flat and smooth. BTW I've never heard a Silent boost on high, but I can't imagine the aeroflow being much louder.

Comment

Originally posted by Power-Glide
          BTW I've never heard a Silent boost on high, but I can't imagine the aeroflow being much louder.
          that's because the Tt Silent Boost only has one speed and stays at a constent 21 dBA

Comment

Ahah, you're a quick one... But if a tree falls in a forest, and nobody is around to hear it - does it make a sound?

Comment

i took a quick look at the Vantec website...their Aeroflow is 38db and the Aeroflow 2 is 35db :thumbs do compared to 21db.

maybe some one like minibubba or others with a A7N8X Deluxe (there a quite a few on TT Forums) could help me out here, its just i know it can be done and several people have done it here on TT, i remember someone having exactly the same mobo/ram/cpu and getting it to 3200 speeds.

Comment

If you are into good cooling though, the Aeroflow will ream the TT in performance.

But, that's cuz the Silent Boost was made to be very quiet, so its easily beaten.

Comment

I got my 2500 to 3200 speeds without touching anything but the FSB raised to 200, and everything runs very stable, with idle temps of about 45-47 (cpu). Sometimes you're just out of luck and maybe ended up with a really bad overclocker, but mess around a little more, and you should be able to reach 3200 speeds no problem, since Im not using any thermal paste, and Im still on the super crappy stock HSF.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoric
                    maybe some one like minibubba or others with a A7N8X Deluxe (there a quite a few on TT Forums) could help me out here, its just i know it can be done and several people have done it here on TT, i remember someone having exactly the same mobo/ram/cpu and getting it to 3200 speeds.
                    I don't have a 2500+ (yet). In fact I'm running a 2100+ paly OC to ~1.9 ghz. I know it aint much, but that's all it will take :(

Anyway, running F@H on it 24/7 (100% load) with an ambient room temp of 22-23 C my temps never get above 42 C with a Tt Silent Boost (AS Ceramique, not lapped). That's not BIOS readings either, I've got a nice little hardware probe on it.

Sure, I could better temps with a louder cooler or at twice the cost of the silent boost. But it keeps my rather hot little cpu more than cool enough and at only a whisper.

Now, as for OC a 2500 to a 3200, I can only tell you what I have read since I havn't done it myself yet. But it looks like you're doing it right to me, you just may want to up the voltage a bit more if you run into a road block. A properly applied Silent Boost should be able to handle the extra heat without a problem.

:cheers:

Comment

I'd just try reinstalling the Silent Boost. Take it off and see if there is a whole rectangle of AS on the bottom of the silent boost. If theres too much, and its gooped all over the sides of the CPU, clean everything off and reinstall with less AS. If there isnt a perfect rectangle of paste on the bottom, use some more.

Comment

I use the silentboost and, I have a AreoFlow. They both perform the same temp wise in my situation.
                        But the silentboost is much Quieter.

I have had slk900U,800U,800A and the silentboost is just as good.

Ya know if you put a delta on any Heatsink it will preform good.

If I where to but a new HS it would be the ALX800. And just put the slientboost Panaflow on it.

Just my 2c:rolleyes2

Comment

ive reinstalled HSF's a few times, and there is a square of AS3 on the heatsink when i pull it off...ok, but the centre of the 'as3 square' is mostly clean (free of as3), and if i look from the centre to the outside of the 'as3 square' gradually there is more thermal paste. its a bit hard to picture.

Comment

It kinda seems you're CPU is not a very good overclocker. That can easily happen. Now I wouldn't suggest getting a better HSF since that will probably set you back about 30 to 40 bucks to get a very good one. Instead you should try selling your chip for the most amount you can get and buy a 2500+ Mobile AMD chip. These are guaranteed overclocking champions. The reason is that these chips are the best of the 2500+ CPUs being produced.
                            Why you ask? The reason is that in order to conserve battery life notebook CPUs have to work at lower voltages. Mobile AMDs work stable at 1.45 V instead of the normal 1.65V Bartons work at. Now the best part is that since notebooks have to change speeds constantly depending on computer activity all of these puppies are unlocked! So if you had bad luck with your purchase, you're guaranteed to get a chip with a high OC potential if you buy an Athlon XP-M 2500+.
                            People have reported being able to reach 2700MHz on air cooling alone! Now that's totally mind boggling! These chips are on a league of their one. I would suggest you look into this before coughing up more dough on a better HSF.
                            You can read more about these facts on the following link:

I have read several articles and threads about the amazing overclocking potential of AMD Mobile CPU's. I can't believe nobody is talking about them here.

I was lucky enough to sell my current Barton 2600+, which by the way was locked, to a friend of mine in Costa Rica for almost the same amount as what I'm paying for my new chip. Luckily enough he hasn't read about the mobile AMD's and their overclocking potential in Desktop systems.

For those of you who haven't read about this, AMD Mobile 2500+ are actually the best of the AMD Bartons 2500+ being produced, because they are able to perform at lower voltages, 1.45V instead of 1.65V, which is a must for notebooks. All 2500+ chips are built the same way, but the ones that pass the 1.45V test in stable conditions are marked and distributed as Mobile chips. Since notebooks change speeds in order to conserve power these puppies have to be unlocked. So if you buy a mobile 2500+ not only are you getting the best of the 2500+ CPUs that being produced, but you are also guaranteed to get an unlocked processor.

Now here's the best part, people have reported being able to reach 2700MHz OC speeds with these CPUs, and this on air cooling alone! Now that's kinda the limit, but your almost guaranteed to reach 2500MHz on decent air cooling and without having to raise Vcore as much as with Barton chips. For 2500MHz a Vcore of 1.75V is supposed to work just fine. Since your working with lower Vcore settings temps are also kept lower. The beauty is that these CPUs cost only a few bucks more than normal Bartons.

At first I was thinking about getting a water cooling kit for my setup but now I can't wait to get my Mobile 2500+ chip from newegg and check how far I can push my system with a better HSF (I'm also getting a Swiftech MCX-462 Heatsink with a Thermaltake variable speed fan pushing from 26CFM to 72CFM). Since ambient temps here in Costa are on the high side I will see if in fact it is true that a 2500MHz OC is as guaranteed as they say.

I will report back with benchmarking and temp results as soon as I install it. For now I would appreciate it if anybody that has tested these chips could post their results or experiences with Mobile chips on this thread.

In case anybody wants to read about these chips and their amazing potential you can find more info on the following link:

Many sounded the death knell for overclocking when one of the overclocking stalwarts, AMD, started locking their massively popular Athlon XP chips. The 2500+ remained a popular product however with the ease it hit 3200+ speeds with a simple FSB adjustment. However, the king may yet live in the...

Comment

Oops I pasted a thread I had posted earlier by mistake. Sorry about that. In any case if you look at the bottom you will find the link I was referring to.

Comment

Working...
                              X