power connections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power connections

sorry if i sound like i dunno what i'm talking about. i don't. that's why i'm here to ask you lot. anyway...

firstly, would it be safe to run a 350W psu (max amps below) with all this lot connected...

16/40 dvd drive
    52/24/52 cdrw drive
    floppy
    7200rpm maxtor hard drive

4 80mm fans (two at max .23A, other two around .15A)
    1 120mm fan (max .20A)
    thermaltake volcano 7+

1 stick of 512mb ram
    2500+
    ATI 9600 Pro

a smallish neon light

it's already running everything other than 1 80mm, the 120mm and the cdrw.

and secondly, there's only a couple of main 4 pin (5v?) connections coming out my psu, dunno if that's normal or not but it looks a bit dodgy with everything else running off of them with through conectors and splitters.
    is it ok to just add as many splitters as i need, if i stick a bit more in one of them's gonna be running the hsf, hard drive, floppy drive (i think the 3 pin's connected to one of the 4 pins), a 120mm fan and an 80mm fan.

max amps for the psu are...

Output

+3.3V = 28A
    +5V = 35A
    +12V = 16A
    +5VSB = 2A
    -5V = 0.3A
    -12V = 0.8A

MAX 200W for +3.3 and +5 Vdc output combination.
    MAX 330W for +3.3, +5 and +12 Vdc output combination.

By the sounds of that PSU ya likely to wind up with probs sometime in the near future.

Comment

which is why a nice antec 430w psu is next on the shopping list. how long d'u figure this one'd last though?

Comment

Now they are good PSU and will do well with what ya've currently stated but if ya add more then the 480W version would be a better buy to look at. They have plenty of connectors but be warned that the Fan Only connectors are for case fans that ya want controlled by the PSU itself.

Comment

yeah i know about the fan only stuff. you got any comments on the cable splitters? is it fine to spit stuff as much as you want, i figure the same amount of power is going through them anyway.

Comment

No ya can't just keep addin' splitters as ya'll just overload the PSU.

Comment

:(

found out who made the thing too. ever heard of deer? :rolleyes:

Comment

deer - bad news :(
                The 4 pin connectors are both 5v and 12v as well as 2 common/ground wires.
                Your PSU is a bit low on the 12V rail. 16A isnt that much at all.
                I would suggest
                A. Get a new PSU
                B. Add a AT PSU to power your fans/neons etc. But this is only possible in big cases that have room for 2 PSUs.

Comment

Working...
                X