Thunderbird Cooling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thunderbird Cooling

I am assembling a computer with a 1.4G Thunderbird processor, 256mb or PC 2100 DDR ram, two 7200 hard drives and a GeForce 3 card in a mid tower ATX case. I have a good heak sink for the CPU and a fan for cooling the case. Do you think the memory or hard drives will require any cooling?

As long as you don't take the DDR beyond 2.6v, then you shouldn't need any cooling there. If you plan on going higher, then you would be wise to invest in an active memory cooling setup.

It's also a very good idea to have cooling in place on your hard drives since you'll be running two of them. And since you stated it was being housed in a mid-tower case, those drives will probably be pretty close to each other. Cooling there would be a great benefit to the stability and longevity of your system.

Just my two cents worth. :)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

I've had a bunch of 7200rpm HD's fail (at work) due to over heating - particularly with apps. that do a lot of swapping or on a server, RAID makes it worse.

needless to say - every box with a 7200rpm drive gets a hard drive fan on it now.

I've been lucky enough to have every one replaced by RMA up until now - but it's not worth the agrivation & downtime.

Typical home users can probably get away with out one - but for $20...why take the chance?

Comment

most HD coolers are pretty loud, and so the way I have gotten around that is to have an excess of exhaust fans, which allows just a plain vent plate in a 5" bay to allow air to enter, which cools the HD. Of the HD coolers i have, i just don't plug them it and use their vent/filter.

I must state that all of my hard drive vents are the 5.25 inch bay type, not the mount to the bottom of the drive type.... those I would bet do not make the system any louder...

Comment

Working...
        X