Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xfx GeForce 5900 Ultra Problems

GeForce 5900 Problems
    I just bought a Xfx GeForce FX5900 Ultra 256DDR...
    I only got 10,000points eve on the 2001Benchmark testing with a 2.0Ghz AMD XP+ and 1gig of DDR...
    120 Gig WD 8mb cache 7200 RPM
    450 Watt Powersupply

I also bought the cable to give the extra juice to the card.

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP
    DirectX Version 9.0
    Mobo Manufacturer
    Mobo Model VT8366-8233
    AGP Rates (Current/Available) 4x / 1x 2x 4x
    CPU AMD Athlon(tm) XP/MP/4 1671 MHz
    FSB 133 MHz
    Memory 1024 MB
    Graphics Chipset NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900 Ultra
    Driver Name NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900 Ultra
    Driver Version 6.14.10.5303
    Video Memory 256 MB
    Program Version 3DMark2001 SE
    Resolution 1024x768 32bit
    Texture Format Compressed
    FSAA Disabled
    Z-Buffer Depth 24bit
    Frame Buffer Double
    Rendering Pipeline D3D Pure Hardware T&L

The problem that I am having with it is, that whenever i try to run the 2003 Benchmark test, it says insuffiecent power! After it does that, it lowers everything and then shuts the fan off! I have to reboot to turn the fan and basically the graphics card back on! I do not know what to do, I paid quite a bit of money thinking Nvidia outdid themselves like way back in the day on the GeForce 3 Ti500's, but I expected more!

My GeForce3 Ti500 competes with this card in games but not in foresay Triangle rates and fill rates. Who cares about those when it doesn't run the current games. So:

1. Could I find an update for my BIOS that would Help
    2. Is there anything for my card that could help
    3. Which card is the same price but better performance? (ATI Raedon 9800 Pro with 256DDR?)

Help would be appreciated :thumb:

It very much sounds like ya PSU isn't deliverin' enough power to the video card and likely the rest of the system but why would ya want that card in an old KT266/A chipset mobo? (there's a big difference in power consumption between a GF3 Ti500 and an FX5900U)

Comment

Hey do you's know of any PCI geforce 3 ti's because there pretty could. Or better het a PCI geforce 4 ti?

:?:

Comment

Originally posted by jag2k4
        Hey do you's know of any PCI geforce 3 ti's because there pretty could. Or better het a PCI geforce 4 ti? :?:
        You really should start ya own thread instead of jumpin' into someone else's (more so when ya question has absolutely nothin' to do with the topic at hand) but the only PCI video cards are low end jobs.

And if ya do it again ya post will be deleted.

Comment

I also bought the cable to give the extra juice to the card.

which cable are you talkin about here? there should be a 4-pin female connector on the end of your card, that your PS plugs into.
          if you overlooked that than yes, your card will not operate properly. I just bought a xfx geforce 5700u, I hooked everything up and and ran 3Dmark03... I got a 536:barf: then I got a message that said the card wasnt getting enough power.
          Its an easy thing to overlook because its not stated in the installation directions.

Comment

So...
            I just figured out one problem
            Like you said (and my PC said) that I wasn't getting enough juice to the Video Card. I unplugged my CD Burner and I was able to run the tests, but I am still getting ****ty results. I ordered a 600 watt power supply and going to see if that will help any.

I barely made it in the 5000's in the 2003Benchmark and that is what I got with the Geforce3 Ti500! I am sorry guys, but I don't know much about motherboards. Is there an update I would be able to do to make it handle more? :shrug:

You said my motherboard is old or the Mobo is, so would I be able to upgrade that cheaply?
            I would really appreciate your help considering I feel like an utter newbie here :shrug:

Thanks again for all your help and any future reference!

Comment

Originally posted by Idiot-Savant
              I barely made it in the 5000's in the 2003Benchmark and that is what I got with the Geforce3 Ti500!
              In 3DMark03, 5000+ is normal for an FX5900 though a tad low.

However for a GF3 you would expect 500-900 points.

You are thinking of 5000 in 3DMark01 with the GF3 maybe.

Or 500 points in 3DM03.

Comment

I got a 7,500 with my GeForce 3 Ti 500 on the 2001Benchmark. I tested it a long time ago with the 2003, but I think it was around 4k or so. I just want opinion if that is right or wrong or if a motherboard upgrade would help dramatically.

I already have a 600 water PSU coming so I don't think that will be a problem anymore. Only thing that isn't new is the Speakers (which aren't even comparible to any that are out now considering I made a GREAT investment on these Klipsch THX's), the CD Burner which is about 3 year old (Am thinking about getting a new one of these because they are so cheap and I figured out that it is EATING most of my PSU) and the Sound Card.

Everything else is fairly new. Any other opinions?
                BTW, is the Raedon 9800 Pro 256DDR better than this? I am thinking about exchanging it. :woot:

Comment

No, a GF3 can not, and will not, score that high in 3DMark03.

Its going to be 500-1000 points like I stated.

I don't even think it can run all the tests, it would have to be DX8 or 8.1 compliant at minimum.

Comment

Working...
                  X