Memory Upgrade Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory Upgrade Question

In my BIOS it lists my memory as being 256mb DDR SDRAM. Is this DDR memory or SDRAM memory or am i being nooby to an extreme or all three?? Then what kind of memory would be best to upgrade to?? I want max performance and max amount of memory. My mobo does support dual-channel mem too. Im mebe looking for 1 gig of memory. Oh and my fsb runs at 533mhz.

That memory would be running at DDR(Double Data Rate). And if you are going to upgrade memory, it would be nice to know what you already had first...;) but I would upgrade to PC-3200 Dual-Channel... but definatly, whatever you get..get Dual-Channel:cheers:

Comment

Yep ya memory is DDR but its proper name is "DDR SDRAM". If ya want 1GB of memory then get 2 matched 512MB modules of same make, model (do not use mix memory) and either keep that 256MB module for something else or sell it to someone else. Good fast timed PC3200 would be a good idea if that mobo supports overclocking and you intend to do it or if ya plan to upgrade to an 800MHz FSB CPU later but if not then PC2700 will be fine.

Comment

nice! thanks guys! what do u think that pc3200 ram will cost me for 2 512mb sticks?

Comment

Originally posted by joedemagio
          nice! thanks guys! what do u think that pc3200 ram will cost me for 2 512mb sticks?
          That could be better answered if we knew what country ya reside in. :rolleyes2

Comment

sry for that mistake, i live in the US, New Mexico to be exact.

Comment

Well I just added that to ya profile but I'll let someone from your side of the world answer that last question for ya.

Comment

thx wiggo u r the best.

Comment

I found this and it looks to die for:

Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, Low Latency 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) ECC Registered DDR PC-3200LL - Retail

Specification
                  Manufacturer: Corsair
                  Speed: DDR400(PC3200)
                  Type: 184 Pin DDR SDRAM
                  Error Checking: ECC
                  Registered/Unbuffered: Registered
                  Cas Latency: 2-3-2-6
                  Support Voltage: 2.6V
                  Bandwidth: 3.2GB/s
                  Organization: two 64M x 64 -Bit
                  Special Features: Low Latency
                  Warranty: Lifetime

Model#: TwinX1024RE-3200LL
                  Item#: N82E16820145469

$280

Wow, id love to have this in my computer! Id blast thru any program at lightning speed!

Comment

Actually ya really don't want ECC memory and ya mobo may not be compatible with ECC memory but the TwinX1024-3200LL model has exactly the same timings plus ya won't loose a cycle for the ECC process involved and ya'll save a few $'s as well.
                    BTW what is the exact motherboard ya have?

Comment

I have an Intel 845pe mobo. Oops, guess i missed that it had ECC, I thought it said no ecc

Comment

My mobo does support dual-channel mem too.
                        I have an Intel 845pe mobo.
                        I hate to tell ya this but the Intel 845PE chipset does not support dual channel memory.

Comment

strange, it said it did, maybe i read something wrong, rrrrrrrrrr

Comment

Only Intel's E7205, E7500, E7501, E7505, 865 and 875 chipsets support dual channel DDR memory controllers and the first 4 are basically workstation/server chipsets.

Comment

so can i stil get by with non dual cahnnel memory or am i stuck with bad permfomance?

Comment

Working...
                              X