PDA

View Full Version : Well hello there

Oldbugger
03-15-2002, 04:36 PM
The oldfart is now a Linux convert......this my first install using RedHat 7.1.....Lycoris on its way.....just like a new adventure isn't it.......when I get a bit more proficient (in about a hundred years) I'll try some of the more tech stuff....but I luv it.......

how the hell do I get the cd burner to work?????its atapi and somehow I have to enable the scsi emulator...how the F%$# do I do that???

Mr. C
03-15-2002, 06:49 PM
Seems several of us are getting our feet wet.
Doggone shame isn't it, such a powerful OS - and (speaking for myself) being so limited in my ability to function within it?

Hoowhee this OS has some real powerful tools. With any luck I'll only be another hundred years behind you Oldbugger:laugh:

Oldbugger
03-15-2002, 08:14 PM
M8 I'm like a kid in the lollie shop....like I said above....glad most things work off the bat.....I've got a lot (LOT) to learn.....this OS is truly amazing....and close enough to free to be free......why have I persisted in buying "cough" that **** M$ stuff before I dunno........

I am a total newb with this stuff and I am amazed...I can recommend it to anyone ..if you are prepared to try that little bit harder ( and I was lazy too) ....the adventure alone is worth it

PS

I've been playin with all sorts of system thingies and haven't crashed the system once.....what a bloody change from Windows which coughed and spluttered at even the thought of system mods

Mr. C
03-16-2002, 09:12 AM
I just love bouncing spam LOL!
Life is better as a sys admin:thumb:

Where do I go to see what that message on the bounced email looks like? Or is there a message?
OK, stupid newbie question - so what's the answer?

HeeHee get root --- Root Rocks!

I'm looking for one of those "Got Root?" T-shirts.
Hmm, that reminds me, my TT shirt should be arriving soon!

Bern
03-16-2002, 09:35 AM
Heh,heh..I want a /dev/mug :)
For all your cdrw needs go here (http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO.html).

Oldbugger
03-16-2002, 03:55 PM
Yeah Right......

I just read the "HowTo" for writing CDs and getting Linux to recognise my Atapi cdrw........hmmmm ....read meaning the eyes scanned each word....I had absolutely no idea what half of it said or how to even start.......

I think I'll wait till Lycoris turns up......

Bern
03-16-2002, 04:17 PM
This is the first few lines of my /etc/lilo.conf
[code:1:f28026a3e1]
# LILO configuration file
# generated by 'liloconfig'
#
# Start LILO global section
boot = /dev/hda
append = "hdd=ide-scsi mem=nopentium"
[/code:1:f28026a3e1]
The hdd=ide-scsi part tells the kernel that the secondary slave drive (hdd) is to use scsi emulation, once this is in your lilo.conf (don't forget that you must run lilo {"/sbin/lilo"} after any change to lilo.conf) then when linux boots it will detect the drive as a scsi device. You can verify this with "dmesg" which will display the boot messages that scroll past too fast to read during the boot.

Oldbugger
03-16-2002, 05:51 PM
Thanx....I'll give it a try.....just a bit tired after playing with Linux most of last night (for the fun of it).....but all of this is pretty new...thats what makes it fun

Shepps
03-16-2002, 09:59 PM
Lycoris......hmmm...i couldn't get that dam distro to install, went for mandrake instead. From what i heard mandrake much better ne way no im not complaining! :D

Oldbugger
03-17-2002, 06:53 AM
I tried Bern's suggestion...I don't have a lilo.conf file anywhere...I'm still booting from floppy at this stage and it seems to have a fixed loader....tried mucking around with several conf files etc but only succeeded to lockup during boot...recovered OK though.

Had a good look at p-two...good site.....tried the new nvidia drivers but I have a different kernal release...mine is "Seawolf" and the only one supported for i686 7.1 is "Enterprise". ****t....still having a ball though....just like when I was first learning DOS about a hundred years ago.....

I realise that Lycoris is a more limited distro but I understand it works pretty well straight out of the box (well usually as I've been advised). This I hope will give me the kick off to really explore Linux without having to have the Windows backup...

II really would like to install the NVidia drivers so I can up the refresh rate....hate 60hz (I assume thats its default at the moment).

Will welcome all tips and suggestions ("cough" about the vid card etc I mean)

Shepps
03-17-2002, 06:59 AM
By going for the easier option you are just delaying the inevitable..mandrake isn't that hard to get started with and i found the installation easier than the Lycoris (bearing in mind it would get past the starting lizard on lycoris lol)

Bern
03-17-2002, 07:02 AM
For the refresh rate you need to edit the monitor section of /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, change the "HorizSync" and "VertRefresh" values to exactly what it says in your monitor handbook. For the Nvidia drivers download http://205.158.109.140/XFree86_40/1.0-2802/NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2802.tar.gz and http://205.158.109.140/XFree86_40/1.0-2802/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-2802.tar.gz. The readme (http://205.158.109.140/XFree86_40/1.0-2802/README) file has all the instructions. After the install download and run nv_check.sh (ftp://www.p-two.net/pub/nv_check.sh) to verify the drivers installed and there are no conflicting openGL files left.

Oldbugger
03-17-2002, 07:08 AM
Thanx Bern....a real help....it is very strange being a total newb......its amazing how tempting it was to revert to the comfort zone....but with the help you fellas give its not that daunting....thanx again

Mr. C
03-17-2002, 09:49 AM
LOL
I love that analogy! "the comfort zone"
You da' man Oldbugger:thumb:

Frost
03-17-2002, 11:30 PM
Hey Oldbugger! Haven's seen ya for a while! I've been busy making wine at the winery! And, tinkering with this computer in off hours.. LOL

I come from Western Nebraska. I thought that Nebraska was the center of the USA, Mr. C??? LOL

I've been considering adding Linux to the lineup to boot into. I use System Commander 7.0 by www.v-com.com software and dual boot either into Windows XP Home, or Windows ME version. Currenlty I'm in XP it's easy to boot into ME and both work equaly well and pretty stable, expecially the XP. I can resize my primary partion and go with another OS if I want to, and was just wondering if there is any particular "version" that would work best? I've been to a Linux web site link that listed about 12 different Linux OS's out there.. Corel Linux seemed pretty nice.

At work at Fenn Valley Vineyards, we use Windows 98SE, and a few with ME along with UNIX SCO server that connects all of them together, and runs the powerful UNIX software for certain applications.

Anyay, G'Day to ya oldbugger (i'm 48 and probably older than ya), and Nice to see ya Mr. C from S. Dakota.. land of the Black Hills!

Cheers!

Wiggo
03-18-2002, 01:08 AM
He doesn't have that nick for nothin', so we're still youngun's. ;)
<center>:cheers:</center>

Shepps
03-18-2002, 01:51 AM
Why bother...ME is SH...not very good.

Oldbugger
03-18-2002, 05:22 AM
A little bit at a time...and I'm making headway.....this is great...

Hey Bern...tried the Nvidia drivers but can't get them ....whats the full details after the "XFree86_40" cause thats where Im gettin stuck.

Got the monitor params in fine...even found the DOS directories and movin stuff between OS's easily...specially the pics...hehehe

I was so bored with the vanilla Window$ crap and with the heart probs can't do much else except tinker....boy have I found some tinkering....yeehaa

PS Frost I turned 50 last September

Bern
03-18-2002, 07:21 AM
NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-2802.tar.gz (http://205.158.109.140/XFree86_40/1.0-2802/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-2802.tar.gz) and NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2802.tar.gz (http://205.158.109.140/XFree86_40/1.0-2802/NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2802.tar.gz), you unpack them by doing,
"tar xvzf NVIDIA_kernel.tar.gz"
"tar xvzf NVIDIA_GLX.tar.gz"
then,
"cd NVIDIA_kernel"
"make install"
Next, move into the NVIDIA_GLX directory,
"cd ../NVIDIA_GLX"
"make install"
Note, you must install the kernel module before the glx.
Next you need to edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4,
Add Load "glx" to the modules section and remove (or comment out) Load "dri" and Load "GLcore" if they are there, scroll down to the device section and replace Driver "nv" with Driver "nvidia", run the nv_check.sh script, reboot and enjoy.

Mr. C
03-18-2002, 07:25 AM
I come from Western Nebraska. I thought that Nebraska was the center of the USA, Mr. C??? LOL

Howdy neighbor!
According to the World Almanac and Book of Facts the geographic center of the 50 states is in Butte County, South Dakota. I live about 24 miles from the monument/tourist trap erected there near Belle Fourche, SD.

Kansas is the center of the 48 conterminous states. North Dakota is where the center can be found for the North American Continent.

So I'd say - yep, I reckon your at the center of just about everything too:thumb:

Oldbugger
03-18-2002, 12:46 PM
Is there a Linux equivalent of ctrl-alt-del to kill apps?????

Bern
03-18-2002, 01:05 PM
Yes, it's called.....wait for it.......kill. Do "man kill" for the unix manual page with all the flags and options. For an app that you started in a terminal you can do Ctrl + c to kill it. To use kill to quickly kill an app open a terminal and do "top" , note the PID of the app (a number) and then do "kill *pid number of offending app*". You will need to be root to kill an app started by root or one that started with system boot. In kde you can use KDE System Guard to kill an app, K--->System-->KDE Systen Guard.

Frost
03-18-2002, 01:05 PM
Yep, Mr. C, I stand corrected. You come from a very pretty part of South Dakota. Duhamel TV I think originated there. Along with a lot of scenes shot for "Dances With Wolves" although the major part of it was shot on the 777 ranch south of Rapid City. Used to live in Crawford, NE just south of the "Hills".

Anyway.. I've been toying with the idea of putting Linux on my computer. I have the means (V-Com.com's System Commander 7.0) to create another primary partition and make it active. Just don't know what I'd do with it once I create it. I've heard of "Pure DOS" that recognizes large hard drives and has a few more anemenities that the DOS you get when you have MS 6.22 or such. Would be nice to boot into something like that so you can change or delete some things once in a while. Seems Windows XP doesn't like you to delete or rename things that in the process of being used at the time. What can I gain using Linux that I don't have with Windows XP with it's ture 32bit OS?

Now that ought to spark some more responses.. LOL

Cheers!

BTW, That's our cat pudder, I named Pudder Bat after I tweaked the photo a bit with a polaroid PhotoMax program. My daughter laughs every time she see that picture. My mom thinks it's the ugliest cat she has ever seen. May be ugly, but he can hear a cricket fart with them ears! LOL

Oldbugger
03-18-2002, 04:13 PM
Well....
Linux doesn't keep encrypted hidden files recording you every move (I'm thinking of the hidden Win dirs like history.ie5 and its sub dirs MSHIST~ with their own indexes)

Linux doesn't try and ring home everytime you change PCHEALTH specs (hardware/system) or so

Linux doesn't keep reinstalling files you delete (in the PCHEALTH dirs like uploadm.exe and config.xml...they just reappear in a couple of seconds)

Linux doesn't reserve bandwidth for dialing M$ home

Linux (probably) doesn't have built in forensic hooks ( I don't do anything real naghty but it gets right up the nose that someone can go poking around in my system)

Linux doesn't expire when it suits Micro$oft's whim

Linux is bloody cheaper especially when you add the free office-type software that outperforms the M$ stuff anyway

Some of the things I hate about Window$...and why I am going right back to tors........

PS Bern.....thanx for all the help.......I only succeeded in trashing the system once with the NV upgrade?????easy to fix up though....

Mr. C
03-18-2002, 06:48 PM
Well said once again Oldbugger!

I came to the moral conclusion long ago that I'm not going to run XP. So I figured I'd better start looking at alternatives. Linux just seemed the logical choice.

I'm running SuSE Personal 7.3 -- now there is only 1 reason for that particular choice. I was able to get a boxed version of this OS at a local bookstore.
That saved me about 60+ hours of downloading (and that's best case scenario with this steenking dial-up). I just wasn't ready to commit that much time to a sight unseen Operating System.
3 CD's 2 Floppy's and 3 manuals for less than $40 US. Oh man You just won't find that kind of value from M$. Something like 2,200 proggys included on the disks - none of which are installed by default, it is entirely up to you!

Frost, there was no need to purchase additional programs with SuSE, as the partitioning is all handled by the setup utilities that come with the OS.

I'm thinking it's pretty clear with just my limited dabbling in the Linux world -- it's about value, it's about choice, it's about power and it's all about freedom.

And keep asking those good questions Oldbugger - I'm learning good stuff with you around. Heehee Bern ROCKS don't he.
:thumb:

Bern
03-18-2002, 07:33 PM
Hehehehehe...I'm a penguin pimpin' moderator :D

Mr. C
03-19-2002, 10:00 AM
In a sorta' related bit of news.
The Sundance Channel is showing the documentary Revolution OS this month.
For those of you who can get it, it's gonna' have Linus Torvald, Stallman, and many of the big big names in open source.
Might be an interesting watch, comes on in about 2 minutes here:thumb:

Maybe Bern will be on there too?

Bern
03-19-2002, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Mr. C
[B]Maybe Bern will be on there too?
HA!..In my dreams.....

Mr. C
03-19-2002, 07:17 PM
That's alright Bern, your still a big-name star with us.
Anyway, you'd probably soon forget about us little folks and be chasing Hollywood starlets.
It was actually a pretty good history lesson about Open Source. Check it out if you get the chance, better than the typical muck found on TV.

Frost
03-20-2002, 10:17 AM
What is SuSE personal version 7.3 Mr. C??

Congratulations on being a gold tweaker "MR. C"!! Is that what was official??? *S*

E-mail me sometime when ya get a chance.. probably too busy helping all us know nothing's like myself in here! LOL

Right now my Windows XP is sort of disfunctional. I boot, or try to boot into XP and get a blue screen PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA and that's about it. believe it could be a hardware thingy. Can't even re-install XP off the CD as it gets to the point of the "Setup is starting windows" and just hangs right there until it halts the system. really wierd.!! If I didn't have System Commander and have already set up Windows ME as a dual boot.. I wouldn't be here now. ME is still functioning.. funny too as the hardware is the same for it as XP.

Oldbugger
03-21-2002, 06:02 PM
Have abandoned Window$ altogether....fdisked and reinstalled linux onto its own partition.....hey presto.....can write cd's etc....it was the partitionless install and the fixed boot disk that was holding me back....yeehaaa

Mr. C
03-21-2002, 06:37 PM
What is SuSE personal version 7.3 Mr. C??
SuSE is a company name, it's yet another flavor of Linux.
It's a German based company.
I won't pretend to advocate SuSE over another distribution, as I'm no Linux guru (at this point it's all greek to me still:( ).
SuSE selling points seem to be the number of proggies that come in the boxed set, and the fact that it has in fact been adopted by IBM for use in it's Linux servers. Like I stated though, the biggest reason I use it is it's availability for me.
There's also a professional version that comes with several more CD's and 7 manuals for almost twice the price. Of course that can be DL'ed as well - just don't get any manuals that way.

A lot of distributions nowadays handle the partitioning of a Windows drive, that is not exculsive to SuSE.
The main thing I see as SuSE's drawback for a newbie is the limited amount of distro specific info online.

"Gold Tweaker" is just an automatic upgrade - based on the number of posts I have.

:thumb: Kudos to you Oldbugger!
You move at quite a rapid rate dude! I'd have to say you caught the bug big time.
I'm not ready for that kind of move yet, but I have gotten some study materials recently that will hopefully in time put me in a position to migrate fully.
In my case however - that is going to require some hardware purchasing for me as well. :(

Bern
03-21-2002, 08:15 PM
IBM are contracting with redhat for linux, you might be getting mixed up with the announcement last week that SuSE are developing the x86-64 kernel support for AMD's hammer processors.

Oldbugger
03-22-2002, 05:26 AM
Mr C as I said before....it is too easy to fall back in the comfort zone.....I just bit the bullet and fdisk'd Window$ away.....it was like a weight lifted o0ff the shoulders.....

My old WinME system would take hours to rebuild from a format and then was fragile......the RH7.1 Linux takes about 35-45 mts and no more drivers for this...patches for that.....4in1 thingies......file schredders.......etc etc etc

Honestly this version of RH is easier to install than Window$ and it works out of the box......I am going to try a few Kernel manipulations/compiles and try a couple of other distributions of Linux and settle with what suits ME best..try that with Window$....and its gunna cost me didly squat compared to M$ software...

As I said I just decided to get out of the software rut and what better way

Mr. C
03-22-2002, 10:18 AM
I've got a copy of Red Hat 7.1 now, came in a book i got - Linux Administration A Beginners Guide.
Not ready to give it a go yet though, still need to give SuSE a fair shake yet. Tempting though when you consider the amount of specific info readily available for the Hat.

ATM my old reliable scanners and my Lexmark Z11 printer are useless with Linux. So a complete transformation is gonna' require some spending. Much as I want to, I've got to work on the vehicle first. (don't you just hate priorities sometimes:laugh: )

Geez! Like 2 months ago IBM said it was going with SuSE - oh well, that's business.

Oldbugger
03-23-2002, 12:09 PM
Well if you like to fidget like I do....then Lycoris is not the go....it is much to "windowsy" and with too little ability to tinker....back to Redhat 7.1 till Mandrake turns up.....

By the way I've fdisk'd three times and installed different flavours of linux today without any drama.....linux is much easier than people think or give credit to......in fact you, the user, decides how tech you want to be......

Bern
03-23-2002, 01:15 PM
Choice, what it's all about is choice. Mandrake is the best distro for those with no linux experience, it allows all the choice's that a distro like slack does but in the form of pointy-clicky interfaces and wizards, of course all this gui goodness comes with a trade off in that it uses a lot of system resources, thats why drake is an i586+ distro when all the other major ones are i386+.

Oldbugger
03-23-2002, 01:51 PM
Any idea how I get the digital cam to work.Its a Kodak dc3200...can't find anything anywhere

Bern
03-23-2002, 02:28 PM
There seems to be some info on that camera here (http://www.linuxhardwaredatabase.com/db/dispproduct.php3?DISP?2403).

Oldbugger
03-23-2002, 05:12 PM
Nogo as far as I can see.....the DC3200 is unique...as far as Kodak cameras go....hmmmmm

Oldbugger
03-25-2002, 01:36 PM
Thanx to Bern I'm now running Mandrake 8.2.....thanx again Bern

Bern
03-25-2002, 01:41 PM
Your welcome :)