I think I killed my PSU!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I killed my PSU!

I had made a card slot fan (used to cool the video card), and accidentally switched the positive and the negative leads, turned on the computer, and then my ccfl started flashing like crazy, and the computer was making a weird noise. The fans worked and the power and hdd lights were on. To be safe, I turned off the computer, but when I tried to turn it back on, nothing happened. I have a a7v8x-x mobo, and so the little green light showed it was getting power, but nothing else happened, and the PSU makes a low brrrooming sound. I just wanted to know if this has happened to anyone else. I just hope that everything in my computer is not dead!. Anyone have any ideas, tips on testing, repair, etc?

The specs are:
    athlon 2500+ oc'ed to 3200+
    a7v8x-x mobo
    generic 300w raidmax psu
    geforce4 mx440 128mb

all I think ma be imortant

Comment

Havin' the fan wiried backwards shouldn't hurt anything but with that puny little 300W PSU ya likely just added the straw that broke the camel's back. I don't recommend that anyone use less than a quality brand 400W PSU these days (Antec 430W PSU's are the minimum that I use) as just the system alone will soon bring those low rated PSU's to there knees over an uncertain amount of time (the lower the quality the quicker they die or produce an unstable system).

Comment

Thanks, man. I really know now to go high quality now, or face a dead piece of crap later! I'm on a low budget, 'bout $40 until next paycheck. Any suggestions?

Comment

I'd take it that ya from the USA (though ya don't give a location which isn't really good on an international forum) but I'd hold out for a few more $'s as good quality PSU's come in the $50-$65 usually unless ya can find one on a special sale price. Though from the same ppl who produce PSU's for Antec, Enermax and many other name brands there's this, http://www.directron.com/tt420ss1.html, but a good rule of thumb is that the heavier the PSU is the better the quality is in most cases.

Comment

Thanks, man. Yes, I am from the US (elementary deduction, my dear watson!)

Comment

On topic:

What about Sparkle PSU's? Didn't weren't they the rage a while back?

Off Topic:

Hey coindood, where is you whu-cha-ma-call-it from?(My brain just OVPed) It's pretty cool.

Comment

was an enermax case with included 350w psu

Comment

Originally posted by coindood
                  was an enermax case with included 350w psu
                  Naw, naw. Ment your icon uh... avatar... thingy.

Not on the level of Antec, but still good.

Comment

Balrog: metal gear alert

Does anyone know about this psu: http://dealsonic.com/al40pe4atxsw.html

Comment

Working...
                    X