GA-5AX... (pics attatched)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-5AX... (pics attatched)

ok, i followed the manual for setting the jumpers and switches on the board for my amd k6-2 500

got everything installed and updated

but this sucker seems 100x as slow as the old board with the amd k6-3 + 450

now, i know the 500 has a smaller L2 cache, but it does have 50mhz advantage, shouldn't that be enough to make up the difference?

yeah, it should but guess what- that's not the problem

turns out, i'm running @ a 51mhz FSB!!!

system info shows the chip running@ ~251mhz
    WTF is the "~"?

a chat app called "yahelite", when it first starts up measures the cpu speed, and it says it's 501Mhz - odd, since the system doesn't report that

no wonder i can't play any games, and can barely do more than one task at a time!

what the hell are the right settings supposed to be??

(as an aside, now, the board only has 3 ram slots, 2 have 256 and one has a 512 stick - why would sandra show it as having 6 slots, and a max ram of over 3GB?)

here's some screenshots:

here's three more shots....

Comment

bah...... linking from geocities you have to put them in a webpage or give them the url to the directory they are in:(
      TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

?? they show up perfectly fine as they are...

whatchu smokin? lol

Comment

That's because your using ya cookies but to most of us they're just red crosses and that's what happens when ya host stuff on geocities site, it's crap. Even that pic in your sig is just a red cross to us untill you get a decent webspace to host ya stuff.
          Anyhow a K6-3+ 450 will walk all over a K6-2 500 no matter what as the K6-2's L2 cache is on the motherboard which becomes the K6-2+/3/3+'s L3 cache. The on chip L2 cache running at full CPU speed is the reason that K6-2+/3/3+'s will crap all over a K6-2 and that cache on the motherboard only runs as fast as the FSB. :devil:
          <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

dammit, ok, aside from the "problems" about where the f-ing pics are located,
            does anyone have a FIX for the problem of the cpu running @ 251mhz and the fsb @ 51mhz and the agp at 2x?

and, if it were possible to run an amd k6-3 + 450 on this board, i'd do it (note the "+", it's different from the regular k6-3 series)

i'd like to get this thing up to normal specs before i even think about OC'ing it

Comment

Well I've set up quite a few of those boards over the years and I'd say that ya have the FSB set wrong to get the 51MHz FSB so check it again. I found that the manual doesn't orientate with the boards to well so may should that your reading the board and the manual in the right way.
              And if ya have the latest BIOS revision (as dated as that is) then yes the "Plus" version will work though it will be identified as a straight K6-3 but will work fine (K6-2+'s also get identified as K6-3's too).
              As for the memory bank report, the board is fitted with DIMM slots (DIMM stands for Dual Inline Memory Modules) so each slot consists of two banks in which double sided memory modules will work in.
              I've setup a few of these boards with K6-3+ 450's running at 550MHz stable (if ya have a good one and good cooling 600MHz is possible).
              As a side note never setup an o/s with the onboard cache enabled with any K6-2+/3/3+ CPU as this will cause BIG problems but afterwards the onboard cache can be re-inabled. :devil:

Comment

ok, NOW we're getting somewhere!

Originally posted by Wiggo
                Well I've set up quite a few of those boards over the years and I'd say that ya have the FSB set wrong to get the 51MHz FSB so check it again. I found that the manual doesn't orientate with the boards to well so may should that your reading the board and the manual in the right way.
                i'm SURE i set the jumpers (there's only 3) and the switches correctly, i triple checked them - i think the manual is wrong
                what about the correct BIOS settings?
                [b]

And if ya have the latest BIOS revision (as dated as that is) then yes the "Plus" version will work though it will be identified as a straight K6-3 but will work fine (K6-2+'s also get identified as K6-3's too).
                i do have the latest, and when i had it in, it was ID's as a k6-3, but not a plus
                [b]

As for the memory bank report, the board is fitted with DIMM slots (DIMM stands for Dual Inline Memory Modules) so each slot consists of two banks in which double sided memory modules will work in.
                I've setup a few of these boards with K6-3+ 450's running at 550MHz stable (if ya have a good one and good cooling 600MHz is possible).
                any chance you can tell me what the settings are?
                [b]

As a side note never setup an o/s with the onboard cache enabled with any K6-2+/3/3+ CPU as this will cause BIG problems but afterwards the onboard cache can be re-inabled. :devil:

Comment

Ok this is how I set a K6-3+ 450 @ 550 in those m/b's.

FSB set to 110MHz: JP1/JP2/JP14 all set at 1-2 and SW1 set at O.

Multiplier set to 5: SW2-O, SW2-X, SW8-O

Voltage set to 2.2 (for stability): SW4-X, SW5-O, SW6-X,SW7-X.

In the BIOS I don't do much other than change the CAS Latency to 2 and the DRAM Timing to Fast but that's as I only use good memory.

Comment

{skreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet}

hoooold up a sec...

JP14?

i don't have a JP14 on this board!

it's got a JP3, up under to the fan power connector, right next to the PS/2 ports

a switchbank, above the FDD port

JP7,8,9 and 10 betweeen the ALI chip and the AGP slot

there's a plug (JP5) for for wake-on-lan between PCI slots 2 and 3

and a slew of jumpers for the chassis (poweron, rest, spkr- etc etc) at the bottom right

no other jumpers of any kind anywhere...

Comment

Well that's straight from the manual I got here and that's what I've been usin' for the last 5 of these that I've done. :smokin:

Comment

:(

are we sure we're talking about the same board?

gigabyte g-a5ax rev 4.1

????????????????

there is no JP14 on this board....

Comment

You didn't state at any other point that you got a dated version as you just said a 5AX.
                          Why do ya have to persist in ancient stuff? Ya could have got the 5.1 that's been around for a year now. :confused:
                          Ok then it's a version 4.1 now is it the 1st release or 2nd? :?:

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
                            You didn't state at any other point that you got a dated version as you just said a 5AX.
                            err, uhh, i, ummm....

[B]
                            Why do ya have to persist in ancient stuff? Ya could have got the 5.1 that's been around for a year now. :confused:
                            Ok then it's a version 4.1 now is it the 1st release or 2nd? :?:
                            well, it was cheaper...

and it's gotta be the 1st, i see nothing on the board to indicate it being second

Comment

Well that board would have to be over 2yrs. :eek:

Ok then try this.

Multipier 5 SW1-X, SW2-O, SW3-O.

Voltage 2.2v SW4-X, SW5-O, SW6-X, SW7-X, SW8-X.

FSB 110MHz JP7/8/9 all 1-2 and JP10 2-3.

The BIOS settings should still be the same as before.

Comment

Working...
                              X