X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wireless cable routing and switch

G'days.

I am attempting to share the cable internet amongst desktop pc's

Initially, as i beleive so far, the modem will connect to the router.

pc 1 will connect via rj45, ( my choice)

pc 2 will connect via a PCi wireless card.

Here is a selection of wireless cable routers/switches

Any comments, suggestions are greatly appreciated.

linksys

netgear

I wouldn't mind D-Link, yet i have not read further into that brand to make an informed decision.

If anyone has any experience, or any knowledge of wireless networking , please type away. :D:D

Looks good. Just plug the cable modem into the WAN port (it will be clearly marked) and the wired PC into the first LAN port and your good there. As for the wireless PC, I would suggest you not use Linksys for that. They make good routers (well, mine works just fine), but every wireless PCI card and USB device (2 of each) I have used as broken. But if you already have your wireless hardware for the PC, don't worry about it.

Comment

Stay away from D-Link!

My roomate got one as a gift, (we already have a router) so we were going to use it for the wireless, but it is just a barrel of crazy wierd problems !!

I don't know if we got a dud or what, but man, it is crap.

Comment

I can't speak for D-Link wireless, but I set up a D-Link router (not wireless) at my parents house nearly 4 years ago and it's one of the best I've ever used. Not to mention it was also one of the cheapest at the time. Although it is a strictly wired environment I wouldn't hesitate to use D-Link again.

zeradul, I think you may have just been unlucky enough to get a dud :(

Comment

yeah, i have not purchased any of the hardware as of yet, as I am still waiting upon some further knowledge to make a more informed decision.

Perhaps zeradul was given a lemon,

point taken thoug, i shall purchase a d-link wireless card.

But what are people's opinions upon netgear ?

They seem to be more expensive, yet is that a representation of their products quality, and performance ?

Comment

Might not have been the router. It seems a lot of wireless devices are unreliable, routers being the exception.

Comment

Working...
            X