how fast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how fast?

How fast do you think i could get this CPU?

AMD T-Bird 1.4GHz 266mhz FSB
    Abit KT7A-Raid

FAN:
    http://www.coolermaster.com/TW/produ...dp5-6i31c.html

Considering that you're using the older KT133A chipset, I would be happy with anything close to 1.6GHz. But of course, it depends on the other components involved in the system and the stepping code of the processor as well.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

I was mostly asking if my FAN/HEATSINK could keep it cool... do you think I could get 1.6ghz stable?

Comment

Like I said above, it really depends on a lot of things. But it is possible to hit 1.6 stable with that processor.

As to your HSF, I wouldn't consider it a very good one. Since the unit you chose uses a thin design fan, it won't be able to put out any serious amount of airflow. And since you are opting to go with an aluminum sink instead of a copper one, you're just not going to have enough cooling to go with the overclocking you have in mind.

Just my personal opinion, but you shouldn't skimp when it comes to cooling. You're getting a processor and asking it to do a lot more than it was intended to do, and want it to do it with a cheap HSF. Get something good if you expect good results.
        My Toys

Comment

What is decent fan to get to 1.6 with? Id really like one thats quiet...

Comment

Since you plan on overclocking it pretty high, look at the Thermaltake Volcano 7+. It has a switch included that allows you to adjust the speed of the fan (and hence, the noise it makes). If you just plan on surfing the web and doing some general word processing and such, then you can slow the fan down and have a quieter system. But when you get ready to kick up some gaming goodness, then you can adjust the speed to the highest level for the best cooling. It lets you have the best of both worlds.
            My Toys

Comment

I think you will be doing good to get to 1529 (133 X 11.5 multiplier) with that chip. It's not going to be quiet as it need the proper airflow to cool effeciently. The fan that Darthanion recommended will probably fit the bill as close as you're going to get. I have an Abit KT7A with the VIA KT133A chipset and it's doing ok for oc' in, but It's more a matter of getting and keeping the CPU cool and stable. Don't forget Artic Silver II silver thermal paste!

Cheers!

Comment

With real good cooling (Swiftech MC462A) I squeezed 1737 (booted...locked in Win) out of a 1333 on an Epox 8KTA3 with voltage mod (2.05v).....1603 without the mod but at 1.85v

The better the cooling the better the O/C result will be.....I'm not certain about the model coolermaster you have but my experiences with coolermaster generally left me wanting something a little better for overclocking.

Give it a go and have some fun

Comment

Originally posted by Frost
                  Don't forget Artic Silver II silver thermal paste!

Cheers!

Why setle for 2 when 3's already out. It can be a whole 2 degrees C cooler.

III is good IV Me!

Bustout.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldbugger
                    With real good cooling (Swiftech MC462A) I squeezed 1737 (booted...locked in Win) out of a 1333 on an Epox 8KTA3 with voltage mod (2.05v).....1603 without the mod but at 1.85v

The better the cooling the better the O/C result will be.....I'm not certain about the model coolermaster you have but my experiences with coolermaster generally left me wanting something a little better for overclocking.

Give it a go and have some fun
                    yeah...MC(X)462 rules !! :thumb:

Comment

I managed to get 1663 out of my 1.4TBird, rock solid. I have an Epox 8k7a+ and a Gladiator HSF. The Gladiator isn't even in the top 10 (anymore) of quality HSF. The possibilities are there.

Have fun :afro:
                      JM
                      Have you hugged a Midget today?

Comment

Working...
                      X