Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P3V4x Overclocking and Upgrading

Hi All,

I would like to upgrade my motherboard. I have a P3V4x with a Pentium III 866 slot 1. Is there a higher end board than the P3V4X? I have a Voodoo 5, 1gig 133mhz SDram. Windows 2000, 30 gig 7200rpm harddrive. I have my system overlocked to a 936. It will not POST over 950mhz. I think I can go higher than this.

If you can provide any infomation.

Thanks,
    Mark Peters

i'd say don't waste your time, and keep that computer as it is for a while.... save up the money you are willing to spend now, and then in a while just get a new computer...

then just keep the computer you have as a back up/secondary computer...

the amount of money you'd have to spend with the small small amount of speed increase is just not worth it...

Comment

How can I get the MHZ over 150? I have a hink sink on the clock generator. The MHZ is at around 143. Can I get the 866 to a 1 GHZ?

Thanks,
      Mark

Comment

It may just be that the CPU doesn't have the headroom for it or you need better quality memory to handle the speed or even one of your expansion cards (video, nic, etc,...) is holding you back. :smokin:
        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

So what is the most high end slot 1 board can you buy? ATA with a 100 or a 133, I don't think they make a 133ata slot 1 board.

My P3V4X and my voodoo 5 only runs at AGP 2x

Comment

Well there were slot 1 boards made that could support the 133MHz FSB and PIII's were made up to 1GHz in that format.
            But if you're going that far why not look at a later socket 370 board and the 1GHz PIII or 1 of the latest Celerons that currently run up to 1.3GHz. :smokin:
            <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

what are you ram settings?

you may not be able to run your memory at that FSB speed

set the memory to FSB minus 33 if your MB will allow - or at least change the CAS latency to 3

is the possibility of 50 or 60 more MHZ really worth th price of a new MB?

...what kind of cooling do you have on your CPU? if you haven't already done so - get a nice big cooler like a GW VOS32.

Comment

Thank you for your help.
                I currently have 256meg 133mhz chips.
                My ram is set by it's SPD
                3T
                3T
                3T
                6T

Can this board support 256meg 150mhz chips?
                I have a mid grade cooling fan. Basically generic. The fan you mentioned sounds great. I'll have to look into one. I have put a hink sink the clock generator and I have read about installing a fan though the case as well for this process. I have a slot cooling fan, a case fan, a hard drive fan and I was thinking about getting some heat sinks for my ram. Are the heat sinks for the ram any good? I would like to change my voltage level. It's at 1.65 Can this do anything? I am unsure.

I do thank you for your help with this.

Mark Peters

Comment

i have heard that some 1 did get this board up to 150mhz im running my P3 1gig on this board with the ram at 140mhz with no clock generator cooling and runs well. I didnt mess around with voltage... good luck

Comment

Working...
                  X