PDA

View Full Version : Cooling problem

mrwarezuk
03-18-2002, 06:20 PM
I have a problem with my system and wondered if anyone has any advice. After playing games for a few hours my system sometimes reboots. This is usually on warm days or when pc has been on along time. I have a cheap heatsink but it is ment to support my 1.4ghz thunderbird. Sould i buy the new Thermaltake Volcano 7+? Is there a feature in Windows XP which reboots the system if the temp is too high? Please help.

1.4Ghz AMD Thunderbird 266FSB
512mb Ram
80Gb Hard drive (ATA 133)
Geforce2 MX 32mb
Windows XP, 2000, Me

Wiggo
03-18-2002, 06:46 PM
Well ya were in the wrong forum but I fixed that for ya.
Now 1st up yes it would pay ya to get a better HSF and yes the Volcano7+ is a good one.
Secondly does it help to have the cover off the PC?
And yes there is and if I find it I'll let ya know if someone else doesn't beat me to it. :smokin:
<center>:cheers:</center>

mrwarezuk
03-18-2002, 06:51 PM
Yes it does help if the cover is off. I have an intake fan at the front of the case and and system exause blower and 80mm fan at the rear. Is there anyway to disable the feature in XP that reboots the system or at least change what temp it does it at?
Thanks

Wiggo
03-18-2002, 07:09 PM
The feature in XP reboots when there's a system error but in the motherboard BIOS should be a setting for temp.
BTW what sort of temps are ya getting like idle and full load? :?:

mrwarezuk
03-18-2002, 09:16 PM
It gets to 60C and then reboots, in the bios it is set to reboot at 75C. Help!

MySTiCuSS
03-19-2002, 12:06 AM
I sometimes have the same problem it spontaneously reboots don't know why! I think it is the nvidia driver what do you guys thinks. My temps are idle 32 and load 41

Wiggo
03-21-2002, 11:13 AM
Yes it sounds more like XP rebooting itself when an error occurs and not the Temp. :smokin:

ne0z
03-22-2002, 05:03 AM
I was having that problem awhile back right before my Power supply went out. The system is not getting enough juice and reboots.

Albinus
03-22-2002, 06:35 PM
Yes it sounds more like XP rebooting itself when an error occurs and not the Temp. :smokin:

The WinNT based O/Ses (WinNT, Win2K, WinXP) will automatically reboot when an error occurs in Windows. Whilst it may not help the problem, if you disable the "Automatically Reboot" setting it may come up with an error that can help us troubleshoot your system :)

In Windows 2000 Professional (don't know about Windows XP) you right-click the My Computer icon, select Properties, then the Advanced tab. Click the Startup and Recovery button and remove the check box next to Automatically Reboot. When the machine crashes next, it will display a blue screen (a STOP error) with something like "IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_EQUAL". Tell us what the error is, and the name of the file mentioned (if applicable) and I'll see what I can do to help solve your problem ;)

Shepps
03-24-2002, 03:59 AM
my comp seems to like restting at 60 as well...sometimes at 50.....:S thats cus i dont, as yet have ne case fans :D

Albinus
03-24-2002, 02:34 PM
my comp seems to like restting at 60 as well...sometimes at 50.....:S thats cus i dont, as yet have ne case fans :D

There is an option in the system BIOS to shut down the system once it hits a certain temperature..... see if that is enabled :?:

T-Shirt
03-26-2002, 01:28 AM
I was having that problem awhile back right before my Power supply went out. The system is not getting enough juice and reboots.

If it's not due to a BIOS setting, my guess would be power supply, as the componets get warmer/hot they become less efficent, creating yet more heat until the thermal overload kick out.
what it points to is a need for more cooling in your system, if temps continue to rise, even slowly over a few hours, you need more better cooling. Also, if you continue to let it cycle to overheat you will eventually kill your system.

Borisbob
03-27-2002, 08:34 AM
Check the temp. of the other hardware and make sure there is enuf air flow around them. e.g. hdd, video.

jaani
03-27-2002, 02:47 PM
Sounds very much like a power problem. What brand/wattage rating is your PSU mr. warez?

poormodder
04-02-2002, 12:27 PM
My old PC did that right after my brother switched the power supply from 120v to 230v. The power supply did this for a day or so and then commited suicide.:angel:

T-Shirt
04-11-2002, 03:35 PM
My old PC did that right after my brother switched the power supply from 120v to 230v. The power supply did this for a day or so and then commited suicide.:angel:
I think that was homicide, your brother should be next!:no:

Beefy
04-11-2002, 03:46 PM
i think i've got the same reboot prob.. that's what ya get for running an ath XP, gf3, lotsa other stuff all off one 250W PSU....

daedalus
04-11-2002, 05:43 PM
it can also depend on the brand of the PSU...eg. an Aopen 250W PSU can sometimes handle more then a crappy 300W generic PSU...and BTW mrwarezuk, it may be rebooting because the thermal paste on the HSF wasn't applied properly, or it might be using :shoot: frag tape, it's definitely worth getting a new HSF or atleast taking it off and putting it back with artic silver or something :thumb:

jaani
04-14-2002, 12:26 PM
At any rate, getting a new HSF is a lot cheaper than getting a new PSU. If your shiny new Volcano 7+ arrives and the BSODS keep occurring, you can be fairly sure it's your PSU. So go ahead an order an Enermax or Topower; if, however, the problems vanish, then the problem was likely temps and not a low 5v/12v rail. The advantage to getting a new HSF is that once your new PSU arrives you should be able to get a decent overclock happening. :king:

zeradul
04-14-2002, 11:45 PM
HEY!!!!!!!

what do you mean by
system exause blower and 80mm fan at the rear.
?????

One of those things you install in place of an unused PCI slot?????

Do you have an 80mm in addition to the 80mm in your PSU????

I bet the BLOWER is why your HSF can't cool down effectivly.... Everything your front intake is bringing in is being sucked out before is even comes near the HSF.... Hot air rises, and so a little cloud of hot air hovers near your HSF, and no air is moving...

I used to have one of those blowers and it was powerfull.... It MIGHT have enough power to suck out everything the front is taking in AND limit the effectiveness of your PSU fan any other exhaust fan...

Test my suggestion and unplug the blower.... I bet it will work...

mrwarezuk
04-15-2002, 04:16 AM
thanks 4 suggestion, have tried it, still no luck.

zeradul
04-15-2002, 09:08 AM
Ok, then here is your solution..

I have a cheap heatsink but it is ment to support my 1.4ghz thunderbird. Sould i buy the new Thermaltake Volcano 7+?
Yes.

daedalus
04-15-2002, 10:13 AM
...i don't get ithe already has, and it crashes even more apparently:eek: :confused:

zeradul
04-15-2002, 01:30 PM
He has??? Where did he say that????

daedalus
04-15-2002, 02:28 PM
Windows Xp used to reboot my computer when the cpu hit 60C. This feature is disabled in the bios but windows still does it. I have replaced the old s**t Heatsink and fan with the Volcano 7+. Now windows reboots between 40C and 50C. My old heatsink had a 3 pin connector but the new 1 has a 4 pin connector cause it needs more power. I was wondering if my Power Supply wasn't good enough.

It was in a different thread...but yeah, it doesn't make sense does it ?

mrwarezuk
04-16-2002, 02:11 AM
no, it makes no sense to me at all. Anybody have any ideas?

daedalus
04-16-2002, 12:30 PM
i'm thinking you may have been right the whole time...it could be the crap PSU...look into getting a new one. That will most likely fix the problem, and if it doesn't, then it's a software problem that is making the Computer Reboot when it reaches a certain temp...

Good Luck :thumb:

chisholm
05-07-2002, 10:32 AM
for all of those out there who havn't done this, plz mod a fan or 2 in the side of your case! this is a huge help to cooling as u can have it blowing directly onto the cpu or video card giving it an unlimited supply of fresh air:afro:

chisholm
05-07-2002, 10:36 AM
btw can i stress to ppl not to get an enermax psu unless u have a server case because the power cords are ridiculously long and you end up having tangles of wire everywhere unless you do some serious tidying:afro:

daedalus
05-07-2002, 06:10 PM
Agreed. Go for a Aopen or Toppower PSU....much better value, same quality AND normal length Leads. :thumb: