Cooling problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling problem

I have a problem with my system and wondered if anyone has any advice. After playing games for a few hours my system sometimes reboots. This is usually on warm days or when pc has been on along time. I have a cheap heatsink but it is ment to support my 1.4ghz thunderbird. Sould i buy the new Thermaltake Volcano 7+? Is there a feature in Windows XP which reboots the system if the temp is too high? Please help.

1.4Ghz AMD Thunderbird 266FSB
    512mb Ram
    80Gb Hard drive (ATA 133)
    Geforce2 MX 32mb
    Windows XP, 2000, Me

Well ya were in the wrong forum but I fixed that for ya.
    Now 1st up yes it would pay ya to get a better HSF and yes the Volcano7+ is a good one.
    Secondly does it help to have the cover off the PC?
    And yes there is and if I find it I'll let ya know if someone else doesn't beat me to it. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Yes it does help if the cover is off. I have an intake fan at the front of the case and and system exause blower and 80mm fan at the rear. Is there anyway to disable the feature in XP that reboots the system or at least change what temp it does it at?
      Thanks

Comment

The feature in XP reboots when there's a system error but in the motherboard BIOS should be a setting for temp.
        BTW what sort of temps are ya getting like idle and full load? :?:

Comment

It gets to 60C and then reboots, in the bios it is set to reboot at 75C. Help!

Comment

I sometimes have the same problem it spontaneously reboots don't know why! I think it is the nvidia driver what do you guys thinks. My temps are idle 32 and load 41

Comment

Yes it sounds more like XP rebooting itself when an error occurs and not the Temp. :smokin:

Comment

I was having that problem awhile back right before my Power supply went out. The system is not getting enough juice and reboots.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
                  Yes it sounds more like XP rebooting itself when an error occurs and not the Temp. :smokin:

The WinNT based O/Ses (WinNT, Win2K, WinXP) will automatically reboot when an error occurs in Windows. Whilst it may not help the problem, if you disable the "Automatically Reboot" setting it may come up with an error that can help us troubleshoot your system :)

In Windows 2000 Professional (don't know about Windows XP) you right-click the My Computer icon, select Properties, then the Advanced tab. Click the Startup and Recovery button and remove the check box next to Automatically Reboot. When the machine crashes next, it will display a blue screen (a STOP error) with something like "IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_EQUAL". Tell us what the error is, and the name of the file mentioned (if applicable) and I'll see what I can do to help solve your problem ;)
                  What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

my comp seems to like restting at 60 as well...sometimes at 50.....:S thats cus i dont, as yet have ne case fans :D

Comment

Originally posted by Shepps
                      my comp seems to like restting at 60 as well...sometimes at 50.....:S thats cus i dont, as yet have ne case fans :D

There is an option in the system BIOS to shut down the system once it hits a certain temperature..... see if that is enabled :?:
                      What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

Originally posted by ne0z
                        I was having that problem awhile back right before my Power supply went out. The system is not getting enough juice and reboots.
                        If it's not due to a BIOS setting, my guess would be power supply, as the componets get warmer/hot they become less efficent, creating yet more heat until the thermal overload kick out.
                        what it points to is a need for more cooling in your system, if temps continue to rise, even slowly over a few hours, you need more better cooling. Also, if you continue to let it cycle to overheat you will eventually kill your system.

Comment

Check the temp. of the other hardware and make sure there is enuf air flow around them. e.g. hdd, video.

Comment

Sounds very much like a power problem. What brand/wattage rating is your PSU mr. warez?

Comment

My old PC did that right after my brother switched the power supply from 120v to 230v. The power supply did this for a day or so and then commited suicide.

Comment

Working...
                              X