2nd hard drive slowing me down??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd hard drive slowing me down??

I feel that my computer is slow, can it be that the 1.5G hard drive taked from a old 4x86 connected to my 20G 7200 Rpm fujitsu :barf: hard drive that is slowing me down?? And how can i see what speed is rated my HDDs and at what speed it is running?(ata66 or ata100)

Well, if those two HDD's are on the same channel then both HDD's will run at the slowest drives speed. In this case the 7200RPM drive is running at w/e speed the 1.5GB one runs at. Take them off the same channel.
    For identifying the speed your drives are running at, use the Intel Application Accelerator . Among other things, it allows you to see and select the speed of your drives. : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

hum... i use an AMD 1800+, it doesn't work on my chipset! does amd have something similar??

Comment

sorry for busting in on someone elses post...

but i have a 5400 rpm and a 7200 i think on the same channel. Does that mean my 7200 is only going as fast as my 5400?

Comment

Sorry syx, didnt see ya had one. Try googling for a similar program, dont know whats out there for AMD's, sry :shrug: .

And ya, madmike, if that 7200 and 5400 are on the same channel, the faster drive will drop down to the speed of the slower one. Better take them off the same channel. : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

Originally posted by madmike
            sorry for busting in on someone elses post...

but i have a 5400 rpm and a 7200 i think on the same channel. Does that mean my 7200 is only going as fast as my 5400?
            Try a few of the hard drive benchtests here first as your later IDE controller shouldn't suffer that prob if those HDD's arn't to old (syx should try this as well but with that old hard drive the situation will likely be reversed).

Comment

thanks for the tip wiggo,

for my 7200 i got a score of 5698 using Disk Speed, and on my 5400 i got a score of 4833 so i guess things are ok :thumb:

but otherwise how could i take them of the same channel? i only have two channels and one has my HDD's and the other has my CD-ROMs

Comment

Originally posted by madmike
                thanks for the tip wiggo,

for my 7200 i got a score of 5698 using Disk Speed, and on my 5400 i got a score of 4833 so i guess things are ok :thumb:

but otherwise how could i take them of the same channel? i only have two channels and one has my HDD's and the other has my CD-ROMs
                If that setup was affectin' your scores and with your other drives then it would be better to add a PCI IDE controller card which would add at least another 2 IDE channels.

Comment

oh ok thanks for the tip :cheers:

Comment

madmike, what program did you use to benchmark your HDD and what score should i see?? Can i compare scores to a database??

Comment

i used the link that wiggo posted and used the program called "
                      "disk speed". it was one of the first programs listed. Im not sure if there is a database to check, i just compared my two relatively. Run the program and compare your scores to mine and maybe we'll get a better idea of how our speeds are :afro:

Comment

There are more factors in the speed though. I just ran the diskspeed util on my maxtor 7200, 8mb cache and got a score of ~5000. I ran it again and it was around 4500. A few more runs went from a low of 4426 to a high of 5327. I'll have to see how the results are after defragging.

Then I put my system under some low cpu load (not disk) and got high scores. Even after fresh restarts, clicking on the test button and not touching it, I had varying results.

So the point to my ramble is unless you get a benchmark that under the same conditions (like just after a reboot and after all startup proceses finish loading) consistantly gives similar results, you might want to try other benchamrk utils.

Comment

Working...
                        X