PDA

View Full Version : the best gaming device for CS?

hbidad
03-20-2002, 12:55 AM
Well, all the talk about HF and CS..I decided to pick up the platinum pack. I played the game only a few times...hmm Didn't last but a few seconds :)... I have been hanging around in the training area for the past few days and been doing better with the controls.

My main problem is that I am using my mouse and keyboard since I can't get my Wingman digital extreme joystick to work (via game port). I have read a few articles about loosing features on the devices that connect using the gameport as compared to the USB port.

Since then I bought a Microsoft Sidewinder gamepad but it look exactly like my cheap/old propad 6 by interact. I tried to set ip up in CS but it wont detect the movements using the up,down,left and right ....8way D pad.

Now I am in seek of another gaming device that is perferred to be playing CS.

any opinions or recommendations?

GiMP
03-20-2002, 01:46 AM
My advice would be to use your KB and Mouse, a gamepad would be way too slow to be effective...

Beefy
03-20-2002, 06:09 AM
I agree.. to play games like CS / HL properly, there is no beating a standard keyboard and a top notch mouse. People just don't play FPS games with gamepads / sticks.. that's why FPS games on console don't seem to be as popular as on PC (with a couple exceptions...)

Bahamut Zer0
03-20-2002, 07:01 AM
I find mashing my head into the keyboard gets me headshots everytime in CS.

Beefy
03-20-2002, 07:09 AM
headshots or a headache? how many blows to the head have you taken this way? :D

hbidad
03-20-2002, 10:39 AM
I am getting use to the keyboard and mouse...I guess I need to configure the controls to for my optimized performance...

Anyone want to play with a newbie....but here are the rules...

You can't fire upon me unless I fire upon you :)
You can't sneak up on me or take a shot from behind or above :)
You can't kill me with in 1 min of the game :)

Ha!.....
See, I told you I was not that strict!

Andy
03-20-2002, 01:42 PM
i'll play you, you take a colt, i'll have the glock, or dual berattas :p

Osiris
03-20-2002, 06:22 PM
And I shall join in :). Cos I can :).

Well, I can't really. But the intention is there.

zeradul
03-22-2002, 06:51 AM
Yes, the KB + mouse have done for FPS's, what the stick shift has done for car racing, (opposed to a throttle)

I cannot stand consoles anymore because of the lack of presicion in the controls. If you think you are good at a console FPS with a normal controller, give me a KB and mouse and I will beat the pants off you.

hbidad
03-22-2002, 07:09 AM
When would be a good time to play?

Bahamut Zer0
03-22-2002, 09:55 AM
Gimme 5mins to strap my mousepad to my forehead and ill be ready
:D

Anonymous
03-22-2002, 09:59 AM
Ok, here is what we do....we need to set a date and time...tomorrow night...you got to remeber I am in the states and you guys have to take in consideration of the time zone bull crap....

Shepps
03-25-2002, 12:37 AM
KB n mouse rulz!, dont think theres is any other way i wud play CS..unless i could have a nueral link or somethin lol. Im in THK if ne one knows them

[THK] Shepps

JediAgent
03-30-2002, 05:48 AM
Anyone ever tried one of those Nostromo n50 Gamepads?
A friend of a friend got one, and he says its great. It replaces the keyboard in CS with ten buttons, and he says its as fast as a normal keyboard. Hmmmmm. Just thinking out loud...

daedalus
03-30-2002, 11:22 AM
I find that a USB optical mouse helps ALOT aswell....not sure why, I guess the higher sample rate give better accuracy or something :)

Osiris
03-30-2002, 12:31 PM
I find that a USB optical mouse helps ALOT aswell....not sure why, I guess the higher sample rate give better accuracy or something :)

Yup, optical-ness = good :).

daedalus
03-31-2002, 09:55 PM
mmm...optical *drool*

Osiris
03-31-2002, 10:07 PM
mmm...optical *drool*

And therein lies the beauty of optical mice - no holes for drool to enter through the bottom :D.

daedalus
04-01-2002, 11:36 AM
except maybe through the scroll wheel, LOL !:p

zeradul
04-01-2002, 01:21 PM
Hey guys....

I own two Microsoft Optical 5 button mice, and I absolutly love the button configuration... I will not be able to use anything with less buttons for an extended period in the future.. haha... I have the side buttons set to close and minimize and I whip through windows like noone I know.

My only dissatisfaction is the mouse's sensitivity... I use extremely high sensitivity, and so by moving my mouse one inch, I get from the left to the right (1600 X 1200) I do not use any accelleration.

Anyways, for the mouse to be used at this setting, it has to SKIP pixels!!! I'd say that it lands on about 1 of every 3 pixels of distance it covers...!!

I know the logitech mice with 2nd gen are better, but I am just looking and waiting for some stats on a better optical system, with buttons like they are. Even with the pixel jumping, it is still far more accurate than an other mice I have ever used... I just want somethng with a lot of configureable buttons that can be extremely sensitive to a small range of motion...

daedalus
04-01-2002, 08:51 PM
i see your point...no ideas though :p