how to config ram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to config ram

I am upgrading my ram and i want to know the best way to configer it. I want to use 1 gig of corsair xms timming 2 3 3 6
    should i use 2 512 meg sticks or 4 256 meg sticks.if i used 4 sticks of 256 would it run in duel channel mode? the reason i ask is you can get better timmed ram goinng with the 4 sticks of 256
    than if you use 2 sticks of 512. plus its also cheaper to use 4 sticks. Thanks in advance!

ooh yea it will be goinng in a asua p4800d e deluxe mobo
    with a pentium 4 2.8:D :D :D :D

Stick with 2 x 512MB as ya more likely to run into probs with 4 x 256MB especially if ya intend to overclock.
    BTW ya can get both XMS3200 and XMS3500 twin packs in both 512MB and 1024MB packs with timings of 2-3-2-6.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
      Stick with 2 x 512MB as ya more likely to run into probs with 4 x 256MB especially if ya intend to overclock.
      BTW ya can get both XMS3200 and XMS3500 twin packs in both 512MB and 1024MB packs with timings of 2-3-2-6.
      My 2 x 512MB XMS3200 runs at 2-2-2-6 quite happily.

Comment

thanks i will go with 2 512 sticks

Comment

ssolive, one thread only will do just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy
            My 2 x 512MB XMS3200 runs at 2-2-2-6 quite happily.
            Actually I have older XMS3200 and XMS3500 modules here that are rated at those speeds but I run them at 2-2-2-5 but the memory chips used in them are no longer made which is why the fastest Corsair now sell are rated by them at 2-3-2-6. That Corsair's ratings but yes a lot of modules will run faster timings than their ratings (especially with more voltage applied to them).

Comment

Actually I have older XMS3200 and XMS3500 modules here that are rated at those speeds but I run them at 2-2-2-5 but the memory chips used in them are no longer made which is why the fastest Corsair now sell are rated by them at 2-3-2-6. That Corsair's ratings but yes a lot of modules will run faster timings than their ratings (especially with more voltage applied to them).
              Ah, that makes sense then. Mine probably could go 2-2-2-5, but I didn't bother pushin it.

Comment

.................................................. ..............................................
                .................................................. ..............................................

My 4 sticks run @ 2.3.2.5 no problems at all

Comment

Well 2 X 512mb sticks yields better performance than 4 X 256mb

Comment

You may be right there, but I got 2 sticks to start off with and then doulbed them 8 months later:cheers:

Comment

Originally posted by johnerz

My 4 sticks run @ 2.3.2.5 no problems at all
                      I did say, more likely...especially if ya intend to overclock, as ya may find that when ya overclock with the 2nd pair that ya don't get as good a overclock as ya did with just the 1st pair. It doesn't always happen but the chance is there that it will.

Comment

Working...
                      X