Replace hard disk message

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replace hard disk message

I'm a very non-techie type looking for a simple answer. (Is there such a thing?) Have a Dell PC. Suddenly froze up. Reboot, all the usual. System Restore. Started in Safe Mode. Finally a message reading "Pri Master Hard Disk: S.M.A.R.T. Status BAD, Backup and Replace"
    Does this mean what I think it does? Do I have to replace the hard drive? How much is this going to cost me?
    Thanks for any help. I called Dell tech support for another problem a while ago and got so frustrated with the folks in Bangladesh I just don't want to call them again if I can help it.

Originally posted by khetzler
    "Pri Master Hard Disk: S.M.A.R.T. Status BAD, Backup and Replace"
    Does this mean what I think it does? Do I have to replace the hard drive?

How much is this going to cost me?
    -preferably

-the price of a hard drive

Comment

S.M.A.R.T. Status of a hard drive warns you before a HD is about to crash and that is what it is warning you about. if this HD is under warranty then it won't cost you anything. just go for warranty replacement but if it is not under warranty then you need to get a new drive.
      there doesn't seem to be any other solution :thumbs do
      Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
      Last Updated:
      10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
      ======================
      jabber : [email protected]
      =======================
      Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
      yabaa dabaa doo...
      Customized for 1024x768

Comment

take it to a dell store if you have one nearby....much easier, and faster.....

Comment

you could try this:

press CTRL+ALT+D at the blue Dell logo, an IDE test should come
          if the test Fails and gives an error code...replace the HDD after you made a backup (if possible)

dunno about where you're from...but there are no Dell repair centres here (NL)
          if in warranty...let Dell send a new HDD, if out of warranty...get one yourself and have someone place it for you if you're not capable :)

Comment

Back up your files as soon as you can, it usually gives oyu about 3 days warning (gave me 3 anyways). Get an HDD from online or at a local store., CompUSA usually has good deals. If you dont want to do it yourself, go to a local shop and they'll do it for you. : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

there *are* no B&M (brick and mortar, ie real-life physical) stores nor repair centres... Dell contracts out to repair companies in every area, the same as the other major OEM's... which is sort of funny when one day a guy shows up to fix your Dell, then the next the same guy shows up to fix your IBM (not that I would ever own either) :)
              386 DX40, 4mb 80ns EDO RAM, .5mb Trident VGA, 120mb 2200rpm JTS HDD, SoundBlaster ISA, Zoltrix 2400bps modem, 2x Creative CDROM (tray loading), Panasonic 3.5" FDD/5.25" FDD, Samsung 14" UVGA Monitor
              -----

/Z

Comment

Originally posted by Zaltec
                there *are* no B&M (brick and mortar, ie real-life physical) stores nor repair centres... Dell contracts out to repair companies in every area, the same as the other major OEM's... which is sort of funny when one day a guy shows up to fix your Dell, then the next the same guy shows up to fix your IBM (not that I would ever own either) :)
                That would be...Getronics ;)

Comment

:x S.M.A.R.T never warned me before a crash, its enabled too

Comment

Working...
                  X