Clear All

• out with the old in with the new

just got a new MB,CPU,RAM

i wanna put them in, already know the ram n cpu just
    plug in and work, but as for the MB...
    sence my MB info is already on my HD
    do i need to deleat some info off there befor shuting down
    and then installing the MB? or can i just unplug
    everything swtich MB then power back up?

:?:

You really need to reformat and install Windows fresh. Since it is most likely the new motherboard uses a different chipset than the old one, you'll be trying to force Windows to become bilingual (different languages for different chipsets) and it is normally more problems than it is worth. Save yourself a huge amount of heartache and go ahead and reinstall from the beginning.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

any one else have a easyer way lol
      thanks for the heads up
      ive never done a reinstall...
      id have to start from win95,
      then use upgrade cds for 98, then xp... :roll:
      sigh

Comment

Darthtanion's way is the easier way. You also don't need to work your way up from win95. You can install fresh right from the so-called 'upgrade' XP CD. You will just need the CD Key from your win98 CD when you start to install XP.

Comment

lol talked to microsoft tech support online and was told this
          meaning no extra cd key codes other then the xp one i have allready,
          so i hope it works..
          To Perform a Clean Installation from CD you need to first make sure your BIOS is set to be able to boot from CDs (they usually are). You should then insert the Windows XP CD in your primary CD-ROM drive and restart your computer. Once the computer restarts you will see an option (right in the beginning before Windows starts) to "Press any key to boot from CD..." At that instant you should press any key (you have about 5 seconds). You will know if you are successful when you see a blue screen that says Windows XP Setup. Once in there follow instructions to perform a New Installation. Delete your current partition and create a new one when given the option to, and re-format the drive for FAT32 (Full). Note: If you have an upgrade copy of Windows XP you might be prompted to insert a copy of Windows98/WindowsME Full edition to continue with setup. Just follow the instructions on the screen from then on.

Comment

well, does any one know
            what the real difrence between
            NTFS and fat 32 ?

microsoft told me to do fat32, but my friends say ntfs,
            so once agani im confuzed :roll:

Comment

NTFS is generally faster and more secure, especially for larger partitions :cheers:

Comment

fat 32 just works with older OS's, and they figure everyday users should use fat32

Comment

if you are using an NT based OS (you are using XP, correct?) then i would highly recomend NTFS, even if you are using small partitions. The added secuity features alone make it worth it.

Comment

lol took me all day and a few trys but i
                    got it to work, used the ntfs
                    and so far so good, other then reinstalling everything

thanks for the help :D

Comment

Working...
                    X