When are these new cards coming out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When are these new cards coming out?

In a few weeks I'm going to be 'coming into some money' - about £350. I want to upgrade my video card since my FX5700 Ultra seems to be struggling with Far Cry at 1280x1024 (have a 17" TFT...)

I was going to get a 9800 Pro or XT but I hear there are new cards coming out from both companies (ATi and nVidia) in April. Is this true? Anyone know the likelihood of these cards actually appearing in April and the possible price tag?

Cheers

Darkhound: ATI and NVIDIA are both on the verge of announcing new high end cards, the R420 and the NV40. Based on what I've seen so far, I would expect the R420 to be available sometime next month, and the NV40 to follow shortly after.

Rumoured specs

R420

0.13 micron process low-k
    160M transistors
    ~500MHz core clock
    ~1000Mhz memory clock
    256-bit memory interface
    Two versions : 256MB GDDR3 or 256MB DDR-I
    12 pipelines
    6 vertex engines
    2x pixel fill rate and vertex of R350
    AGP 8X
    VGA, DVI and VIVO ready
    Supports DirectX 9.0b

NV40

0.13 micron process
    205-210M transistors (up from 175M)
    ~550-600MHz core clock
    ~1000-1200Mhz memory clock
    256-bit memory interface
    Two versions : NV40 ??? and NV40 Ultra 256MB GDDR3
    16 pipelines
    AGP 8X
    VGA, DVI and VIVO ready
    Supports DirectX 9.0c

Both companies are offering two versions, NVIDIA's cards are being quoted at $299 (NV40) and $499 (NV40 Ultra), so expect ATI's competing products to be similary priced unless there is a significant performance advantage from one manufacturer over the other.

Comment

Ok thanks a lot, i just hope £350 is enough for one of the top ones over here. Hopefully the improved pixel shader, fill rate etc and the whole lot being faster and more advanced will mean I can finally get a decent game of DXIW :lol:

Comment

The NV40 looks to be way better than the R420 :shock:

Comment

tacos4me: Whilst the (rumoured) specs for both of these cards (R420/NV40) is all over the place at present, it appears that NVIDIA could have the avantage. All should be revealed within the next month.

These are the latest NV40 specs

NV40 revision A2 clocked at 475MHz core and 1.2GHz memory (GDDR-3)
          16 pipelines - 3DMark2001 single-texture fillrate of 7,010 MPixels/sec and multi-texture fillrate of 7,234 MPixels/sec
          Pixel shader performance ranges from 2.5X to 5X over GeForce FX 5950 Ultra
          Antialiasing in screenshots is 4X RGMS (Rotated Grid Multi-Sampling)
          Max anisotropic filtering at 8X with tested driver, but might see 16X
          Gameplay performance 2.5X to 3X faster than GeForce FX 5950 Ultra using high resolutions with AA and AF
          Image quality is "far far better"

Comment

I thought the R420 had 12 pipelines?

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=14830

Comment

SmokeyTheBalrog: Yes it has, I swear it said 12 when I posted it, must be going nuts.
              Darkhound: (Latest rumours) R420: Next week at the GDC. NV40: April 13th at a NVIDIA sponsored LAN (Winner gets to take one home with him/her).

Comment

Working...
              X