Strange slots on Mobo, Dunno what they are

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange slots on Mobo, Dunno what they are

Ok, some noobish question, I know that the black slots at the top my old amd mobo (not the one I use in my sig) are memory slots and I figured the white ones were memory too, but why are they different? What are those white slots beneath the black mem slots that i use for ram? If they are for ram, what kind? (Pic better now?)

keep our dial up users in mind. crop that image and reduce the file size at least below 100 KB, preferably below 50 KB.

as for your question, the log white slots below the DIMM slots are for SIMM type RAM. the ones next to the RAM slots are for the PSU.

now change that image.

Comment

Just as a tip, even MS Paint will work when it comes to resizing images. It does have some uses. ;)

And it seems that bubba has answered your question, so...

*zips off*

Comment

What is SIMM RAM? Would adding it be cheap/ damage performance?

Comment

SIMM is ancient technology, very slow stuff

although, if you can find some it is likely to be quite cheap. Unless people consider them collector items now for some reason :laugh:

if you want an overview on RAM, including SIMMs, DIMMs, RIMMs, ext. i suggest you read this: http://distance-ed.bcc.ctc.edu/cs110...k_04/4_RAM.htm

Comment

Well actuall the black memory slots could also be SIMM's but the black slots use SDRAM modules while the white ones use EDO modules but ya can't use both types at the same time.

Comment

EDO ram is still pretty expensive from what I have seen, esp. if you want big sticks (32mb+). While almost everyone says that you can't use Simms and Dimms at the same time, I did for ages and never suffered any problems but I have never seen anyone else get away with it. BTW, that was the worst system ever and I used it for ages (Via VX Pro+ M/b, 16 mb EDO, 32 mb SD, 2mb S3, started as cryix 166+, then P133 then AMD 200). I would post pics but I screwed the board ages ago. I still have it, I just stuffed up one day and ripped a resistor off the SD ram (it was the tightest ram to get in I have ever seen) on insertion which killed the controller.

If you really wanted to get it going, just use SD ram, its cheap and faster.
              BTW, is that a K6-2 or a K6-3 in that board?

Comment

What wiggo said. One is for SD-RAM, the other is for the older EDO RAM.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Rain
                  EDO ram is still pretty expensive from what I have seen, esp. if you want big sticks (32mb+). While almost everyone says that you can't use Simms and Dimms at the same time, I did for ages and never suffered any problems but I have never seen anyone else get away with it. BTW, that was the worst system ever and I used it for ages (Via VX Pro+ M/b, 16 mb EDO, 32 mb SD, 2mb S3, started as cryix 166+, then P133 then AMD 200). I would post pics but I screwed the board ages ago. I still have it, I just stuffed up one day and ripped a resistor off the SD ram (it was the tightest ram to get in I have ever seen) on insertion which killed the controller.

If you really wanted to get it going, just use SD ram, its cheap and faster.
                  BTW, is that a K6-2 or a K6-3 in that board?
                  I've still go a few old relics here of that erabut in its "hey day" it did become the most affordable memory at the time but then just about everyother memory standard was the same (really plain SDRAM is gettin' quite expensive now compared to 12months ago).

Comment

Working...
                  X