XP HELP!.... I'm going cRaZy!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP HELP!.... I'm going cRaZy!!!

I have a FIC az11ea (VIA KT133a), with AMD Athlon 1 GHz processor, running 384 SDRAM PC 133, which refuses to install windows XP (latest version), from upgrade or clean install. Has anyone encountered this problem, or does anyone have a solution to this problem. I am currently running windows ME.

When I try to instal, I have success loading inital files, but have no joy rebooting. Inital boot up screen appears, but fades to black and hangs..... indiffinetly!!

I know how u feel - I'm having a simmilar problem

things to try

1. Disable virus checking in bios
    2. Discable acpi (power managment)
    3. Upgrade bios
    4. Remove all cards except video & HD and test
    5. try with a single stick of ram
    6. Low level format of HD

All of the above methods have been known to get the install working

(but none of em work on my dad's pc)

number 3 has worked for me several times on different pc's
    http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

Yeah, I had the BIOS problem as well, couldn't upgrade until I upgraded my BIOS version, all fixed now though.

Comment

hope this helps bios avail here
        http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

its most likely the bios, some older ones might not support it, funny how my mobo w/k62 300 works fine with xp....then again, the bios was made in like 99..lol

Comment

I think the BIOS update was about the only thing we didn't try Phil - Give that a go!

Comment

so it successfully installs & then tries to load for the first time? is that right?
              At the request of wiggo ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Grim Reaper
                so it successfully installs & then tries to load for the first time? is that right?
                Yes, that's correct.

Comment

Have ya's done the "Press F5" at the "press F6" screen? maybe try loading as standard PC would stop it from maybe creating an IRQ/resource issue...just a thought

Comment

what happens if you try & go in thru Safe Mode? or Safe Mode Command Prompt?
                    At the request of wiggo ;)

Comment

XP seems to have a fit with the raid drives. Couldn't find any updates.....I bail and dropped back to w2k, 'til i can do more reach.....:rolleyes: XP is looking a lot like 98fe.

Comment

Hmmmm, I really WOULDN'T recommend turning off ACPI when running 2000 or XP. Not so bad in 98 (although I'd still enable it) but definately not in 2000 / XP. You loose heaps of nice features

Comment

Working...
                        X