PDA

View Full Version : I'm so CONFUSED!!!

Darthtanion
03-22-2002, 12:20 AM
Here's one for the networking gurus...

I have a laptop that I am temporarily using at work. It has a Xircom 10/100 PCMCIA card that it uses to connect to our network. Now for the interesting part...

I get a login prompt when the system starts, and it successfully logs into the network. I can also access shared drives on the network. What I cannot do is ping our servers or connect to the Net. I receive a fatal error saying that it cannot find the IP.

I have already dumped the NIC several times and reinstalled it, and I have removed the TCP/IP dump and had it loaded fresh. I'm running out of ideas. How can it be that I can access shared drives, but the computer still thinks that a network does not exist?

Oh... and there are no restrictions for my accessing the internet from any terminal within our network, so it is not a matter of permissions.

zeradul
03-22-2002, 04:32 AM
I'd say snag another PCMCIA card off ebay... The ebay market is flooded with PCMCIA cards, and they sell cheaper than dirt. (10$ brand name 10/100 new/slightly used)

If the new card doesn't help, I'm not sure where else to turn...

ne0z
03-22-2002, 05:31 AM
have you tried renewing your DHCP lease, and do you have the gateway address filled in? Most networks if they are fairly large will have a router of some kind acting as a gateway.

Darthtanion
03-22-2002, 01:07 PM
OK... I've got one vote for a bad NIC... anyone else? I'm saving off buying new parts unless absolutely necessary. And since it is a work machine, getting money to buy components is as bad as pulling teeth.

ne0z,
There is nothing to dump. The system doesn't pick up a gateway at all, so releasing the DHCP does nothing.

Andy
03-22-2002, 03:14 PM
remove the tcp/ip protocol for the nic then reinstall it with the appropriate settings. also try installing NetBEUI

Mr.Tweak
03-22-2002, 03:29 PM
Darth I very much doubt there would be anything wrong with the NIC if you can access other parts of the network like you said. Have you setup the DNS and gateway options with the correct IP of which machine is serving the Internet?

Albinus
03-22-2002, 03:49 PM
Never fear, Albinus is here!!! :D

The suggestion that the NIC is faulty is pure rubbish. If it was, then network shares would not be available. Andy also needs to have his wrist slapped for suggesting NetBEUI, any Internet connected computer should NOT run that protocol (big security problem).

Now to the problem. Darth, what Operating System is the laptop running? Do you have to logon to a domain? Or just locally? Are you using DHCP on your network or static IP addresses? If DHCP is enabled it should automatically determine the gateway. You may also need to enter a DNS server address. There are just so many variables here... do you have a systems administrator that you can ask?

Go to a command prompt and type in "ipconfig" (without the quotes). This will show you the IP address, and the DNS and gateway servers (if present). Report back with the above info and I'll see if I can help some more :)

Darthtanion
03-23-2002, 03:27 AM
OK... let's see if we can get everything going here.

First off, I am in agreement that Andy should give up networking as a hobby. Not only does NetBEUI create security problems, it is only viable in a small network that doesn't have any outside servers to work with (like a small office that has it's own network for all office machines). And in answer to the comment of removing the TCP/IP protocol, I stated in the original message that I had done that.

To answer some of the questions, let's start off with the fact that I'm running Win98SE. As for contacting the SysAdmin, I have already done that and he's more confused than I am. His suggestion was to reinstall Windows. :(

I have used the command line "ipconfig" already, and I lose 100% of the packets sent. It cannot find the network, but I still have access to shared drives. Pinging the main server causes the same 100% packet loss, but pinging one of the domains sub-servers causes an error that it cannot find the address.

As for the DNS and Gateway settings, these are all automatically created by the network. The IP is also automatically assigned (and I belive that it is a static IP as well Albinus).

zeradul
03-23-2002, 05:50 AM
I still think my suggestion is likely.

If you think that when somthing begins to fail, it fails 100% all at once, you are mistaken. While somewhat rare for it to occur on relatively new items, you tell me what is keeping a less crucial chip from going bad, and still allow most of the nic's functions to remain working. All it takes is one tiny tiny flaw within the card.

plus, with deals like this, purchasing one isn't that painful...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2005799431

zeradul
03-23-2002, 05:56 AM
or better yet........

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2010273836

and he has many up for sale, and while he has somewhat low feedback, he has sold numerous prior, and recieved positives on each......

Mr.Tweak
03-23-2002, 08:25 AM
Try setting the DNS and gateway settings manually.

Albinus
03-23-2002, 10:49 AM
As for the DNS and Gateway settings, these are all automatically created by the network. The IP is also automatically assigned (and I belive that it is a static IP as well Albinus).

You either have a dynamic (DHCP) or static (fixed IP) address - if it is automatically assigned then you have DHCP, not static :)

OK... seeing that you are using Win98SE, try running "winipcfg" from the run command in the Start Menu. It is more detailed than the ipconfig command, and can tell you things such as when your IP address was assigned and the like.

I'll ask at college on Tuesday (more help there), but in the meantime try and get Kheldar to see this thread to see if he can help. :)

Darthtanion
03-23-2002, 11:11 AM
The winipcfg command in the RUN menu only yields a fatal error that I explained in the original posting.

Kheldar... HELP!

Albinus
03-23-2002, 11:24 AM
Ouch! :(

Looks like Windows has had its networking components royally screwed somehow..... where is Kheldar when you need him? :(

Wiggo
03-23-2002, 11:54 AM
Maybe the admin was right Darth and it just needs to have the o/s re-installed again. :smokin:
<center>:cheers:</center>

Mr.Tweak
03-23-2002, 01:20 PM
Have you trying uninstalling all network componets, rebooting and letting them install again?

Albinus
03-23-2002, 01:26 PM
With the Win9x/ME OSes it usually makes more sense (and takes less time) to reinstall...... providing it isn't a 486 LOL

Darthtanion
03-23-2002, 01:37 PM
Have you trying uninstalling all network componets, rebooting and letting them install again?

Several times. :(

Mr.Tweak
03-23-2002, 02:14 PM
Looks like you are looking at a format then.

Andy
03-23-2002, 09:22 PM
/me holds hands out :(

ok albi, give me that slapping

zeradul
03-23-2002, 10:42 PM
You did not mention that it was winipcfg that was causing the error Darth !

I now definatly think that a OS reinstall is necessary... don't worry, 98se is painless... if you kept all your cd's and other installers... heh...

Mr.Tweak
03-23-2002, 10:51 PM
Or pop Windows XP on...

Darthtanion
03-24-2002, 10:33 AM
Well damn. I was really not wanting to have to reinstall the OS. Since it is a computer that I am borrowing until I get one of my own, there is data on there that I'll have to find a means to back up.

And WinXP isn't even an option since it's a work machine. It's a miracle that I even have Win98 on there since most of our machines are still using Win95. :(

Oh well. I just put in a request for a new P4 Dell machine, so we'll see if it flies. If so, then it will come pre-loaded with XP and the IT folks can KMA.

Mr.Tweak
03-24-2002, 11:55 AM
I am sure the US government can afford it... :D

Albinus
03-24-2002, 01:32 PM
/me holds hands out

ok albi, give me that slapping

OK, here it is :hammer:

I am sure the US government can afford it... :D

Not too sure about that..... considering that the U.S. is spending several trillions of $$$ on defence, leaves no $$$ for computers methinks :(

Darthtanion
03-24-2002, 02:16 PM
Actually, I don't work for the US Government, but a County agency. But of course, that makes it even more difficult. Ever tried getting water from a rock? If you succeeded, then you had an easy task in comparison.

Albinus
03-24-2002, 02:40 PM
Actually, I don't work for the US Government, but a County agency.

Is the police service funded by the local county Darth? In Australia the police force is funded at a state level :?:

Jonny
03-24-2002, 03:37 PM
hrrrmm..... i've had the same problem for around 6 months with my laptop and my school's wireless network. Did everything possible: reinstall, changed cards etc (just short of reinstall OS). Then last month, the school replaces all the wireless hubs and cards with a newer model and suddenly everythings works (the IT center later admitted that the old ones weren't working properly).

anyway.... have you checked this out with your Admin and are you sure that it is a client side problem? Are there anybody else with the problem or are you the only one?

Mr.Tweak
03-24-2002, 04:01 PM
Is the police service funded by the local county Darth? In Australia the police force is funded at a state level :?:

If I am correct (at least it would apply in Australia) - If the police service is funded by the local county, it would be funded by the government in any case ultimately?

Darthtanion
03-25-2002, 12:52 PM
have you checked this out with your Admin and are you sure that it is a client side problem? Are there anybody else with the problem or are you the only one?

I was working side by side with him when we were messing around with this problem and he is just as confused as I am. As far as I know, I am the only machine that is having this problem, and we have a lot of desktops and laptops hooked into the system. And it almost certainly has to be a system problem and not a network problem since I am hooked into a setup that consists of two switches and a hub... all of which sits about four feet from my desk.

Is the police service funded by the local county Darth? In Australia the police force is funded at a state level

In the States, law enforcement agencies are broken up into many different levels. The US has it's own agencies, but this consists mainly of the FBI and the CIA (secret squirrel ****). There are numerous others as well, but they deal with larger stuff on a national level for the most part.

Next in line is out different state agencies. Either calling themselves State Troopers or something similar, they are largely responsible for traffic enforcement in large highways. They also do a lot of drug interdiction since a lot of drug smugglers use the highways for their transportation routes.

I fall into the next category, that of a Deputy Sheriff. These are more localized law enforcement agencies that handle pretty much all facets of law enforcement on a county level. We work a lot with our local city agency to make sure that we keep our town as safe as possible.

Which brings us to the City Police. They are nearly identical in function to us, but their jurisdiction ends at the city limits.

So now you have a basic understanding as to how our law enforcement agencies are put together. Though we are different entities and are funded through entirely different channels, we still will work together to make sure that we can provide as safe a place to live as possible.

sKuLLsHoT
03-28-2002, 09:53 AM
going down the lines of being a possible hardware problem, have u tried the card on another network point - or a known working point?

Have you tried the latest drivers for your card? or even the not-latest-but-different drivers that your could find?

only other thing i can think of is duplicate DHCP bindings. that can cause some weird **** when the DHCP database gets a little confuddled and hands out several IPs to one MAC address/name combo. although you receive an IP address and only one, it seems to cause some wierdass problems.

thats it for me