• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• back to crunching for seti....

should i run 4 apps, 1 for each proc, or 1 app split between the 4? :lol:
    [space saving sig]
    AMD 0wn3z j00!
    [/space saving sig]

you should remove it and install folding@home ;)

Comment

i could have swore i saw a distributed computing forum, but with this new layout im still a little lost. :shock:
      [space saving sig]
      AMD 0wn3z j00!
      [/space saving sig]

Comment

it's under general discussion instead of BG, went ahead and moved it for ya though
        :cheers:

Comment

id say one for each processor, and then have each app do 2-3 WU at a time...youd get major output on that machine....

Comment

Hey Wiz!

Run folding@home and cure alzheimers! Really! More info in my sig.

EDIT: Oh and then when you get folding going, install 4 instances of the Command Line Interface into their own folders, and run them, and just set affinity, one instance per processor....

Comment

Hey wiz!

If you do decide to keep running seti, try using the command line version, its faster :)

Also, give us some specs :D
              TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

Good to see ya back Wiz but as Andy said changeover to the command line version (Method 2 as shown here) as it cranks out a w/u in about a 1/5th of the time that the GUI version takes. SETIdriver will allow 1 w/u to be processed by each processor (or 2 w/u's for a hyperthreading CPU).

Comment

so the gui version takes 5 times as long? jeez, talk about poor optimization... Every unit computed twice, and now this?

Comment

Originally posted by zeradul
                    so the gui version takes 5 times as long? jeez, talk about poor optimization... Every unit computed twice, and now this?
                    The GUI version is actually a screensaver so processin' the graphics for it does make it take a big hit.

Comment

Does anyone else think zerad's bucking for a "Forum Smactard" title? :blah:

Regarding the 4 Processors: Yes, run four apps at the same time. You could also devote one or two to a second DC program, like BOINC or Folding@home. :shoot2:
                      :-(

Comment

oh elrado, i'm touched? :oops: :) Does discussing Seti's shortcomings make you uneasy? Why do you think that is?

Comment

It's not the optimaztion :roll: It's simply the fact CPU cycles have to be spent to constantly redraw the image showing on the screen. And each unit twice is only in BOINC beta, not normal S@H

Comment

zeradul if ya don't understand SETI then just plain BUTTOUT!

Comment

the computer specs are as follows:

Dell Computer (i forget which, but i think its a dimension)

4 2.8GHz Xeon Processors
                              2 GB DDR Ram
                              2 80 GB Hdd's
                              1 100 GB external Firewire drive
                              2 20" Flatscreen Monitors

i'll take pics of it tomorrow when i take my camera to work. :D
                              [space saving sig]
                              AMD 0wn3z j00!
                              [/space saving sig]

Comment

Working...
                              X