No POST blues...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No POST blues...

Recently bought a few more upgrades for my machine that I have been having troubles with since I bought the ASUS P4P800 (retail) back in november. This time a new video card and SATA drive. I shelved my setup a couple weeks ago until I could afford some more upgrades and just used my old AMD setup in the meantime.

I had kingston replace my memory with a nice KHX3200AK2/512 kit (amazing kingston support by the way) from the old kit which was KHX3200K2/512. With that new set of memory coming in the mail I decided to upgrade my video card and HD as well. (see system specs below in sig).

So since my original november upgrade date of buying motherboard, processor and memory I have since that day replaced/upgraded: memory, video, sound, CPU cooling and paste, power supply and hard drive. Only thing I have yet to replace is motherboard and processor.

I did not and still do not want to believe my MB is toast because I love ASUS mobo's. Last night once new upgrades were in hand I pulled the setup off the shelf and fired her up. No Post...no beeps of any kind... no video... fans fired up and PS ran. I started yanking everything out bit by bit. Down to nothing but the mobo and power into the PS and prayed for a PC speaker post beep... nothing.

Any thoughts here? MB toast?

Thanks again folks

Try the CPU in a different mobo if possible, if it works than ya mobo is fried, if it don't then replace the CPU. Then if it still doesn't work the CPU and mobo are both fried

Comment

yeah but shouldnt the board post without the processor in anyways?

Comment

Originally posted by criscoduck
        yeah but shouldnt the board post without the processor in anyways?
        No, it'll post without memory but not the CPU. BTW have ya cleared CMOS?

Comment

okay good to know, ill try that

no on the CMOS, that would be something ive never done before.

Comment

okay processor back in and still no post :(

I dont have a spare board laying around to try proc in another, guess ill try a local shop and see what they will charge me to try it out.

Comment

popped memory back in just for giggles, for the first time Ive gotten beeps... 3 fast ones.

progress...

Comment

Look around for the beep codes for your mobo, then let us know what that tells you

Comment

You never did mention if the cmos got reset.
                  athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
                  tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
                  asus a7n8xe-dlx
                  thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
                  bfg 6800gt
                  seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
                  samsung dvdrw
                  2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
                  logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
                  2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
                  creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
                  mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
                  DFI infinity nf4 ultra
                  thermaltake tsunami dream -black
                  seagate sataII 500gb
                  evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
                  samsung sata dvd-rw
                  2x1024 ocz black
                  logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
                  ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

3 quick beeps usually means that either the video card is not seated properly or defective or that the memory is not seated properly or defective so there's where ya need to start.

Comment

okay good news

first of all, no the CMOS never got reset, cus honestly I dont know how to do that.

Im up and running now though. As far as I can tell, my processor was not seated correctly into the MB. I gave a little extra push and it popped down correctly. Once I had the memory in and plugged in keyboard I dropped to two beeps. Popped in the video card and voila I was Posting. Installed each component from there checking for post each reboot.

OS is installed now and so far so good. The real test comes for me once im up and gaming again to see if my true problem is solved.

This one is solved now though, thanks for responses folks

Comment

Good to hear that ya got that sorted. :thumb:

Comment

Working...
                        X