case connections - please HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• case connections - please HELP!

HI need some help. got a new case and shifted everything from old one to this new one. problem is not sure how to connect the cables from the case to the motherboard. Now my mobo is the old MSI 440ZX one (not sure of model number -couldn't find this out last time we tried).
    The connectors are as follows:
    2 rows of pins - 9 pins in top row (away from front of case) - there is 1 pin on the left, then a gap where a pin may have existed followed by 7 more pins.
    the bottom row(closest to front of case) has 8 pins - again there is 1 pin on the left, then a gap and then 6 pins.
    So in total (minus the 2 gaps = 15pins)
    Now the cables I have off the case are:
    4 slots speaker cable
    2 slot HDD led
    2 slot Power SW
    2 slot reset SW
    1 +P Led
    1 -P Led

now of course there are other cables like for front usb etc but not interested in those as never had them on the old case. All i am interested in is getting the damn pc back up and running. :cry:
    Can anyone please help? :idea:
    Thanks
    Eye See You..........

can nobody help?
    :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
    Eye See You..........

Comment

Hmmm... missed this one somehow.

You'll need to come up with a manufacturer at least for your motherboard. The pinouts you're talking about are different by manufacturer. You might look on the motherboard for some identifiers to help you in your research. Common places to look are between the PCI slots and in the area by the memory modules. If you can pinpoint the manufacturer and chipset (which you already have), you can likely hit up their website and get the info you need.

If there are no markings, you might try something like SiSoft Sandra that gives basic system information and may be able to get the manufacturer from the CMOS info it scans.
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

got a new case and shifted everything from old one to this new one
        You'll need to come up with a manufacturer at least for your motherboard
        Ok, I am confused here.. :? Lion says he got a new case and shifted everything from the old one.. so are you trying to find out the model number for the new case, or the mobo.. :? :?

Comment

The way I understand it he is looking for the pinout description for power switch, HDD LED, speakers, etc.
          My Toys

Comment

If I may...The Psu might be incompatible with the current motherboard if its old. Not sure if I even know what I'm talking about here,but thought this would help.

Comment

From the chipset indicator posted above, this is an i440ZX based mainboard. This would have been in the era of the old P2 and P3 processors if I recall... and they were ATX at this time.
              My Toys

Comment

sorry chaps let me make it a bit clearer. i got a new case and then transferred everything into the new case. Of course you then have new connections from the new PSU in the new case to the mobo and also from the case to the mobo to switch the pc on(which is where I am having problems).
                Also my Pc is a P3 450mhz. I will try either looking up on the mobo carefully just now to see if can find the manufacturer. does it make a difference if i play around with the cables and plus them in in any order in hope of finding the right one? can i blow up the mobo?
                thanks
                Eye See You..........

Comment

I dount if you would blow up the motherboard, but you could do damage to the headers or switches you're trying to hook up.

Try downloading something like SiSoft Sandra and see if it can tell you anything about the board's maker. This is important as I have two boards basically the same... one from EPoX and one from Soltek. Both of the pinouts are arranged differently.
                  My Toys

Comment

on the mobo itself it says MS6156 - did net search on this mobo and went to the manual and connected as it showed yet my pc doesn't come on.I tried connecting to the old power supply and the old case connections in case the new ones were faulty but even the old ones don't work. if i plug in the HDD led in where on the manual it says plug in power swtich the HDD light comes on on the new case but the pc itself is no go.
                    any suggestions??
                    also if I replace this mobo in case that is faulty(never liked it in the first place) - can anyone recommend a cheap one which will run a P3 processor? not planning to spend much as looking to build brand new one soon but hoped to keep this as an extra. also would mobo advertised for p4 work with a P3 processor? my current mobo runs sdram so also would wanna try and keep to that as far as possible. hopefully can turn pc on somehow without having to replace anything
                    thanks
                    Eye See You..........

Comment

Re: case connections - please HELP!

Hi,

I am also facing the same issue, just wondering if you happen to find any resolution on this.

Thnaks
                      Peekay

Comment

Toward the top left you should find a link for a download of the mainboard manual. From there you should be able to determine the pinouts for the switches.
                        My Toys

Comment

Hi Mike,

I had refereed the same manual, and connected accordingly, no success,

I was wondering if the other person has any solution, can u check, as I am not able to send the mail

Prasad

Comment

If you have the pinouts connect4d properly, then you may need to check for which pin is power and which is ground. This is important. The black wire should be the ground and the colored should be the power. The manual should also indicate (probably with a small + sign) the pin that needs to be powered.
                            My Toys

Comment

I wonder if there is a chance it's the switch itself that's bad?

Since it appears you don't have much else to go to, just for sh*ts and giggles, plug in the reset switch to the on/off leads and try that. Both switches are momentary on/off contacts and will work

Comment

Working...
                              X