Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Video Card freeze in Me, but not in XP???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Card freeze in Me, but not in XP???

My 8 year old daugher has my old motherboard, an Abit KT7A ver. 1.1 with an Athlon 1000 OC'd to 1200. she was running ME, but when I installed the setup, the video card hangs in Me. Dual booting to XP though it works perfectly fine. It always hangs durning the end of the boot up. It's a Stealth III 540 Xtreme by Diamond. Now the drivers are new and like I said it works wonderful in XP, but cannot get the bugger to take in her ME partition? Any suggestions? I've even over-installed ME on itself, think that "physician heal thy self" might work, and the new installation might pick up the conflict. Also have the latest VIA 4 in 1 drivers installed, and the BIOS is set for 4X, and all works fine like I said in XP.

Cheers!

try not overclocking the system and set the AGP 4x back to 2x in the bios, see if that helps...:thumb:

Comment

Sounds like a driver issue to me if it is working in one OS and not another.
      Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
      Managing Director
      Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

I second that. I personally think you should drop that POS WinME, but that's my personal opinion there. I just hate that OS

Comment

if you've got XP why would you even want to bother with WinME?

Comment

Windows ME is your problem, i have it installed on my dad's computer and it sucks. Its crashes and freezes all the time...just that i cant be bothered to format it lol.

Comment

The only reason I can think of for keeping WinME would be for some of the older DOS progs???? and from seeing some of Frost's other posts I think that maybe the case????

Comment

Yep oldbugger..ya got it! She has a lot of stuff on that old ME partition, and she like it. It would take a bit to move it all over to XP and get set up. But, that may be what I'll have to do. I really don't have an issue with ME. We run it at work along with Windows 98 SE, and everyone elses computer running SE has issues or crashes, but mine is rock stable day after day. My wife has ME on her machine and no problems at all. A lot of it has to do with what you are asking it to do in the way of configurations and such. Also, you should have updated VIA drivers for you VIA chipsets etc.

I had Sammy's hard drive in a computer I built her that was a Shuttle HOT 591P (socket 7) running an AMD K6-3 processor, and moved her componets, including the HD to an Abit KT7A mainboard configured set up. Sometimes in just moving the HD to a new locale, there can be issues with the drivers. I find it like a challenge to work the bugs out if I can. Sort of like tinkering with a model airplane, or fishing with just the right lure. But the Video card has me stumped. I may have to go back into the registry and remove the referrences to Diamond video card. Her old card was a Diamond Stealth III S 540, and the new one is a Diamond Stealth III S 540 Xtreme. Also I never got the old video card to work except in 2X mode. In all honesty, I've had the XP setup crash on me more than the ME setup. And I've had XP do such a crash that you couldn't even let it repair the installation booting from the CD ROM! Finally figured out why. I had a bad 80 pin connector. Sometimes it would work and other times it was so bad that it wouldn't even find the Maxtor Hard drive as what it was, or the CD ROM would hang and only read slow and intermittently. When you have a glitch like that, often the data you are writing to your hard drive will get corrupted along the way, and hence the ceratin files that it looks to use, are corrupted and cause major headaches!

Just passing along some of my experiences is all!

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                X