Still looking for a new video card...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still looking for a new video card...

I was looking on newegg just now, and I saw a 5700u from Albatron. The thing about this particular card that peaked my intrest is that it has DDR3...

What's that all about? I thought DDR2 was fairly new:p Will DDR3 on a video card make that big of a difference?

It's the newest incarnation of ddr ram. Basically allows higher clock speeds than ddr2. So where a stick of ddr2 is running say 133Mhzx2 (266MHz), a stick of ddr3 is running 133MHzx3 (399MHz).

In other words, it's fast, very fast. Unfortunately it's very expensive. So that's why the new NV40 will cost upwards of $300-$400 U.S..

Comment

DDR3 provides nvidia to cram more memory onto the card without putting memory modules on both side of the card..only on one side..the new fx6800 is coming with ddr3. They didn't want to go through the trouble and adding heat sinks for both sides of the card..and it allows higher clocks. Its not that expensive :roll: The new NV40 is going for 399.99...that is the estimated price anyway.
      BTW...relize the fx5950 are 499.99, also the 9800xt was 499.99.
      CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
      Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
      RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
      GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
      PSU: Thermaltake 500w
      SC: Audigy 2 zs
      LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
      Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
      Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

I was saying that ddr3 memory by itself is expensive. Thats part of the reason the new NV40 cards are going to cost near $400. That and the fact that nVidia and their little minions (partner companies, ie. Chaintech, Gainward, etc.) have a tendancy to overprice their cards by packaging old or crappy games that no one wants with them.

Besides, I don't know about you, but I find anything over $200 is a bit much for my tastes :roll: .

Comment

Originally posted by Soyoman
          I was saying that ddr3 memory by itself is expensive. Thats part of the reason the new NV40 cards are going to cost near $400. That and the fact that nVidia and their little minions (partner companies, ie. Chaintech, Gainward, etc.) have a tendancy to overprice their cards by packaging old or crappy games that no one wants with them.

Besides, I don't know about you, but I find anything over $200 is a bit much for my tastes :roll: .
          well...the fx5900 and 5950 don't use ddr3..but when they came out..they ran for 400-500...sooo...seeing that the fx6800 has 16 pipelines..and ddr3..and going for only 400 over the old cards...that went for the same price and higher when they came out...i think that is pretty well priced for computer euthaist

Comment

Originally posted by Soyoman
            It's the newest incarnation of ddr ram. Basically allows higher clock speeds than ddr2. So where a stick of ddr2 is running say 133Mhzx2 (266MHz), a stick of ddr3 is running 133MHzx3 (399MHz).
            Are you stupid? DDR3 is still only 200X2=400mhz, hence the DDR name (double data rate) For it to be 133X3 it would be TDR (triple data rate) which doesn't exist

Comment

I wouldn't say that makes him stupid, but it's a good idea to be relatively sure of what you're talking about before posting. :2cents:

Comment

Well exuuuuuuuuuuse me for living :roll: . Didn't think everyone would start lighting the torches over it, jesus.

Comment

Living being a dumb ass trying to give people half ass advice.... :rofl:

Comment

Living being a dumb ass trying to give people half ass advice....
                    Not like u picked up on his mistake.. :roll:

Comment

LoL, can't we all just get along?? No seroiusly, will a 5700u with DDR3 smoke a 5700u with DDR2? How much of a performance increase could one expect?

Comment

Originally posted by tacos4me
                        Not like u picked up on his mistake.. :roll:
                        Oh look..its the ati-fanboy in denial.. :roll:

Comment

Guess you could say that, lets brainstorm names for you.. :roll: Its really sad when you make fun of someone for something that you had to have pointed out to you.. :rofl:

Comment

Make fun of someone? i had no intention...you were no where in this thread..so..and brainstrom names? ahah ATI-Fanboy is what you are...so if you want to brain storm names then go ahead...and point what out? I am just curious..your post are so vague..be more describtive..

Edit: I hope your not talking about the ATI-Fanboy thing as being pointed out to me....cause you were picking ATI even before they were dominating..well, obviously you have stuff against me because you did not reply at all in this post...And SOYOMAN seriously was giving stupid advice...when obviously he did not know about ddr3 on cards..or ddr3 at all...so if you not gonna help, and want to start a flame war..then start a thread..i am sure people well reply :rofl:

Comment

Make fun of someone? i had no intention...
                              Ok, well whats this?

And I dont really see why everyone likes the name "Ati-fanboy" on me so much. I use just as many Nvidia cards as Ati, only I think Ati has the better cards right now.

I am just curious..your post are so vague..be more describtive..
                              I'm stupuid.. :wink: you dont need to be the greatest typer for what i do..

EDIT: and dont mistake my tone..there isnt any/
                              And I would like it if you would really stop riding my ass so much.. :no:

Comment

Working...
                              X