Do you Fold???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you Fold???

Hi, I noticed that you guys don't have a folding at home team. I was wondering if you would like to join us, of overclockers.com in the folding race.

For those of you who don't know, Folding@Home is a research program put on by Stanford University. It is a small client that crunches numbers on computers all over the world, creating more power output than any supercomputer could ever come close too.

Now the other part behind it is a kind of team race. When the client is running, it downloads a Work Unit (WU) that contains the numbers to be crunched. It then sends it back to stanford and you get credited with a WU. The WU's are worth different points, based on how long they take to finish.

Here are a couple of sites that will help :

The Client
    Team Search Page
    User Search Page
    The Main Page
    Another stats page

we already have a Seti@home team and a UD team, we might be able to get participation in a folding team, but i doubt it. (im running the UD agent)
    [space saving sig]
    AMD 0wn3z j00!
    [/space saving sig]

Comment

Thanks for the invite Cluster!
      I ran UD 9 months +, then they pulled that anthrax sham. It will be a while before I'm ready to commit that kind of devotion to another project.
      UD ate my balls
      The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. C
        UD ate my balls
        Ow.
        [space saving sig]
        AMD 0wn3z j00!
        [/space saving sig]

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. C
          Thanks for the invite Cluster!
          I ran UD 9 months +, then they pulled that anthrax sham. It will be a while before I'm ready to commit that kind of devotion to another project.
          UD ate my balls
          Well i can assure you that this is definetly no sham. It's been running for quite some time, and they have been showing off their research to big companies, to get them involved. Big players like IBM and Intel have been getting involved in Folding@Home. It's worth taking a look at, especially team 32 :)

Comment

Intel is a sponsor of the UD THINK project too.
            It was when Microsoft got to throwing their money around that they were retasking volunteers for cancer research and giving them anthrax WU's.
            Damn MS can build their own supercomputer - leave mine alone.

Anyway for over 9 months my hardware was practically hostage, not that cancer research wasn't a worthy cause. I don't regret any of the time my system was dedicated to it and I hope it helps someday.

When people complained about being retasked the official UD chant was "Read the EULA....Read the EULA".

Man, I got better things to do than hire a lawyer to find out what some corporation is doing with my PC.

Just a bad experience for me personally and I'm just rather wary of getting involved in another humanitarian computing project.
            Hec - I'm not a chemist or anything, and what UD did opened my eyes to the fact that I really have no idea at all what someone may be trying to actually do with my PC. Could be curing cancer, or could be building a better bomb. Might be a better ****roach spray? I have no way of knowing.

Hee Hee - do I sound a bit paranoid? If so, thanks United Devices:laugh:
            The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

does Folding cover Diabetes research?
              specificly type 1 diabetes

edit: dosen't look like it.....

Comment

People do seem to get passionate about their DC projects. Don't they?
                : peace:
                :-(

Comment

Originally posted by elrado1
                  People do seem to get passionate about their DC projects. Don't they?
                  : peace:
                  I think so, check your sig!! :laugh:
                  or better yet, check mine :rofl: :thumb:

Comment

You caught my drift! :devil:

Comment

Who's sig? :confused: :rofl:

Comment

And your's too Wiggo. The three of us, and I am sure there are others, are definately "out there." :laugh:

Comment

if you crunch it, they will come :rofl: :rofl:

Comment

Working...
                          X