Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Channeling?

Please show patience.

What is Dual Channeling? Also, if I do Dual Channel on my Asus MB, which has the option to, does it count all memory? Example: 512MB in slot 1, and 512MB in Slot 2. No memory in Slot 0. Will that show one GIG, or will it show 512MB and use them together to make reading and writing faster?

Thank you for your patience.

Mike

P.S. I am running WinXP. Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe MB Nvidia Ultra 400.

Dual channel means that the motherboard has two memory controllers. If you have dual channal memory, which means either you buy a pack that comes with two identical sticks (it might say 512MB (256 x 2) if you ordered it from, say, www.newegg.com), or you buy two of the same stick, you put one stick in the first slot on the first channel, and the other stick on the first slot on the second channel. It still acts as 512MB if you have 256 MBs, but it's much faster. Most motherboards will support dual channel, but you need two identical (brand, model, everything) sticks of RAM to have dual channel enabled.

Here's the first Google result for "what is dual channel?" (no quotes):

Better yet, here's the first result from the Google search "What is dual channel" (with quotes):
    Find support for our complete range of memory and system storage, along with helpful information on warranties, installation guides and firmware updates.

You never know what information is easier to find out on Google than posting for help. I don't mind, just saying for your convenience. :wink:
    :cheers:

Edit: By the way, your motherboard supports dual channel. If you have two identical RAM sticks, you're all set for dual channel. :D

Comment

I appreciate it much. Thanks much for the info.

Mike

Comment

One more question:

Dual Channeling can only be used with DDR400? From what I have read online and in my MB manual, it only mentions DDR400. But no where does say that it doesn't work with any other Speeds. I have DDR266 x 2 512MB in there now. It seems quick, or faster to me, but I just reinstalled XP too, so I don't know.

Thank you,
        Mike P

Comment

dual channel will work at all speeds as long as the 2 sticks used are identicle.

Comment

Thanks again! :D

Comment

did he not get back to you on this or did he p.m. you. if he did p.m. you then would you please be so gracious as to share that information with me. as i am quite interested in this topic.
              thanks,

josh
              amd 4200 x2
              2gb ocz gold pc4000
              dfi utlpl nf4 sli-d
              antec sp500
              bfg7800gtx
              zalman cpu cooler

Comment

Originally posted by joshuajames
                did he not get back to you on this or did he p.m. you. if he did p.m. you then would you please be so gracious as to share that information with me. as i am quite interested in this topic.
                thanks,

josh
                wtf both questions were answered in the thread.

Comment

Yes, they work. They are identical sticks of ram in the correct position and at post it says Dual Channelling enabled.

Comment

ok, my bad i guess.
                    amd 4200 x2
                    2gb ocz gold pc4000
                    dfi utlpl nf4 sli-d
                    antec sp500
                    bfg7800gtx
                    zalman cpu cooler

Comment

Working...
                    X