Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Performance tweaks without overclocking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Performance tweaks without overclocking?

Heya,

So i recently bought some new parts and threw together a system. I ran 3dMark 03 and pulled a score of about 3660.

My setup is:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+
    Gigabyte ATI Radeon 9600XT - 256MB
    Asus k8v - Deluxe motherboard
    512 MB pc3200 Kingston Value Ram
    40GB IBM HDD @ 7200 RPM (only 2mb cache, was a spare hdd reformatted)

thats all the important parts anyway... So i was wondering what performance tweaks or enhancements i could do to get the system running at its prime. I have windows XP pro loaded on it. I know there are a pile of registry tweaks, but i was lazy this time around and i just downloaded a program called XP-Smoker and put the performance tweaks to the recommended settings and let it fly

I dont really want to overclock anything - even though i know i can. I basically want to know - what other stuff can i do to get this puppy running at its full potential...

Advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance guys - shan

Follow many fo teh guide on http://tweaktown.com for optimizing your system and since you are running Windows XP the guides on Windows XP will do wonders. Also be sure to read System Optimization for Gamers there too. THats a great guide too.

Comment

The Windows XP Tweaking guides will help you a lot.

If you wanted to spend more money, another 512MB of RAM would help. Replacing that HDD should be your first concern, though.

But the (first) XP tweaking guide is what really matters. It's linked to on the front page and in the Windows Forum.

Comment

i think the xp-smoker prog covered a lot of the tweaks anyway

is 3660 a good or bad score for my comp lol

Comment

Thats beter then my Dell I have. It got 41 when I ran it. That sucks. Probaly cuz dell sucks too but now im working to buy parts for my new computer

And I still suggest you read the Windows XP guide. I have never used that program b7ut programs don't do as good of a job as if you ddi it yourself and there are many tips in those guides that the software robaly doesn't do. Also read the system optimaztion guidse for gamers. That is a great guide on optimizing just abotu everything from the correct BIOS settings to drivers and OS tweaking

Comment

Re: Performance tweaks without overclocking?

I have used XPSmoker in the past and liked it. I also like TuneXP (it defrags your boot sector for faster start up times) and has a few small tweaks in it. Good program, does the job.

Comment

Luck.exe please dont bring up old posts. Check the dates next time.

Comment

It's been up at the top of mine for a while, it's sticky it looks like... I'm sorry if it isn't the same on yours...

Comment

I think that KoolDrew is trying to emulate amd_man by the looks of things (which is not a good thing and likely why even less people are coming here).

Comment

wayout44: You're pushin' it mate, I'd suggest you back off before ya get yourself in trouble here.

Comment

Working...
                    X