i845 chipset and possible burnout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i845 chipset and possible burnout

my new m/board has the i845 chipset. There's a big warning sticker over the AGP slot warning of possible m/b burnout if you use an incompatible video card. I wanted to slot in a Gigabyte TNT2 M64 Model GA-622-32C (just till I can afford a better card).
    Has anyone tried this combination successfully?
    Thx.

Check your manual. More than likely it wants an AGP 4x card that supports the reduced 1.5v power requirement. If you try to throw in an older card, it is likely that you will damage the card, the mainboard, and/or both.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

You may find that that video card may not be any good for that motherboard and you'll have to invest in a more modern one. :smokin:
      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

thx for the replies
        I'm not willing to risk the m/b so guess I'll bite the bullet and get a Geo 3.

Comment

TNT2 is fine, it is a 4X AGP card, as long as you don't put a 2X card in a P4 mobo you are fine. :p
          Quick!!….Pack your bags!!…

The Elephants are coming!!…

Comment

Originally posted by Moose
            TNT2 is fine, it is a 4X AGP card, as long as you don't put a 2X card in a P4 mobo you are fine. :p
            TNT2 and TNT2 ultra are ok

Some TNT2 M64 don't use the 1.5v setting in AGP 4x mode, neither do the Vanta cards yet they are keyed for AGP 4x mode,

i wouldn't risk it either

a GF2 MX, GF2 or GF3 are totally compatable as they are all 4x 1.5v cards

Comment

Working...
            X