What power supply for 9800XT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What power supply for 9800XT?

What power supply should i need for 9800XT? i have a 330w antec right now.

It depends on the rest of your specs. Although odds are that won't be enough, I'd recommend at least a quality 400w power supply for any modern setup with a 9800XT, although at least an Antec 430w would be best.

Comment

That seems like a lot of power. I have one HDD, 80gb. 2 optical drives, 1 ram DIMM, processor, 2 case fan, modem, p4p800s and thats all. not including monitor, keyboard/mouse and speakres.

With that setup would it be enough?

Comment

And if its not, what card should i get then? (money is not an issue)

Comment

Like he said, a 430W Antec would be really nice. And if money isn't an issue, get a X800 Pro or X800 XT instead of a Radeon 9800XT. They are more powerful.... Much more expensive though.

In ayn case, get a Antec 430W or something like that. Shouldn't be too expensive.

Comment

Yeah, i just looked up the price for a 450 antec solution PSU, and its only $99 so ill get that and the 9800 pro since its only a little slower. Since i have to upgrade my PSU (from one that i havent even used yet, as im building a new pc) it will work out better(ie cheaper) just getting the pro.

Comment

recommends a 300-Watt power supply or greater to ensure normal system operation where a number of other internal devices are installed.

Comment

And for any of todays half decent systems ATi's recommendation is about 100W+ to low.

Comment

Originally posted by shuaib
                  recommends a 300-Watt power supply or greater to ensure normal system operation where a number of other internal devices are installed.
                  Bleh, thats bull****. Stick with the suggestions of a 400w+ PSU

Comment

OK, If it was really 400W+ then they would have been going on about it like they have with the 6800 ultra that needs that kind of power. But i didnt hear a peep about it, except from you guys.

Anyway I think I'll stick to the reccommendation of the guys who actually make the card, rather than the guys who buy it, thanks.

Comment

or greater to ensure normal system operation where a number of other internal devices are installed.
                      Don't you get it? That means even if you're running a Duron at 1.6GHz with 128MB of RAM, you need a 300W PSU. Now turn that into an Athlon XP 2800 with a few PCI devices and maybe a 7200RPM HDD or two, you'll need to get a better PSU.

But go ahead and get your 300W PSU. We'll all laugh when it breaks and you've wasted your money.

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
                        Don't you get it? That means even if you're running a Duron at 1.6GHz with 128MB of RAM, you need a 300W PSU. Now turn that into an Athlon XP 2800 with a few PCI devices and maybe a 7200RPM HDD or two, you'll need to get a better PSU.

But go ahead and get your 300W PSU. We'll all laugh when it breaks and you've wasted your money.
                        In my first post i said i have an antec 330W right now.

Comment

Either way, it doesn't matter. That might hold a R9800 Pro. Like amd_man says, an Antec 400W or something of similar quality would be much better.
                          But it does depend on your system quite a bit... With what I've seen of it so far, I wouldn't depend on that PSU of yours to hold all of it up. Exactly what processor do you have?

Comment

Well... i have p4 2.8ghz 800 fsb, 5400 rpm 80gb seagate.

Comment

My main concern is that since i bought a case(lanboy) that came with the psu, i would be wasting money to buy another psu to replace the one that i have now and havent even used yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X