bios password

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bios password

I'm not sure if i'm putting this in the right section but i'll ask here since it is about the bios. Where i work someone put a password on the bios of one of the computers and no one knows how to fix it. how would i go about getting it off with out actually having the password. I know how to disable the password but know one knows what the password is so i can't even get to the bios to fix it. what can i do besides trying to brute force it... any suggestions, tips, tricks would help.. thanks.

I'm not 100% sure if resetting the BIOS with a jumper on the motherboard will remove the password, I think it will. Otherwise you could download the latest BIOS from your mobo manafacturers homepage and flash it with the latest BIOS - This will remove the password.
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

if it is an award bios use the password AWARD_SW in caps
      but the jumper on the MB will work but it will also erase yer settings in the bios

Comment

thanks.. i'll try that award password.. i'm not sure about the mobo though. oh and what was meant by flash the new bios to the mobo.

Comment

Wims BIOS page has lots of stuff that might help you get into that BIOS.

http://www.wimsbios.com/

Comment

I just openned up the computer today. but i'm not allowed to take anything out. and it was pretty hard to make out any identification of the mobo.. i managaged to read part of one of the chips it is an intel (agp set fw82443bx) can someone help me identify the mobo and tell me how i can get rid of the password. it seems that someone was just messing around with it and messed it up.... argh

Comment

It would be a BX440 mobo, no idea on which brand it would be. Does it use an Award BIOS? Did you try that password? Start with the simple stuff first.
              Managing Director
              Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

yes... i tried that password but it didn't do anything...

Comment

Try and get a hold of a manual for the board and see if you can reset the BIOS. The jumper to reset the BIOS will be a different color to all the other jumpers most likely.
                  Managing Director
                  Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

its often placed near the battery too

Comment

That too...
                      Managing Director
                      Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

I fixed it... just took the battery out for five minutes

Comment

yay

Comment

I did that to my old super socket 7 mobo and it died :( well it was die'n ne way, everytime u knocked it the dam thing wud reset - its wasn't a power issue either. lol.

Comment

Working...
                            X