ABit KV7 Motherboard
    AMD AthlonXP 2700+
    Seagate V S-ATA 120GB
    Crucial 512MB PC3200 DDR RAM stick
    MSI nVidia GeForce FX 5900 256MB
    DVD-ROM player
    2 CD Burners
    2 80-mm fans (antec stock), 1 in the power supply

I have a perplexing question. Today when I went over to his place today he told me that for the past few days he couldn't get the PC to boot up at all. Very odd, since well I myself built it (my 6th that I have done from parts), and I knew that Antec is really good. It also did this just in time...because in a few days a StarCraft Tournament is starting up that he paid $50 for entry. [shocked] So anyway here is what it does:

When I press the power button , the green power LED blinks for a moment (not even a full-power blink...a green "aftercast"), and nothing happens: no fans turn, no hard drive whirs, nothing comes up on the monitor, and definitely no beeping of any sort.

My first thought was that the power supply went bad because of a surge or something but I was of course hoping that it was some sort of glitch. I opened up the computer and all the cables are not loose, they are fitted in the right way (especially the pin jumper types that connect the power switch on the front to the motherboard). I even flipped them over in case they were in upside down (I never get them right when I first install the PC....almost invisible designations). I then figured maybe dust and cat hair coupled with cigarette smoking caused a short circuit somewhere (the stuff looks like a brown rug with 1/2" hairs...yeah its an amazing sight, like it grew a beard). Over 90% of the dust has caught on the dust filter in the front of the case, but a heck of a lot was on the front of the fan grills and around the drives and behind the buttons. Anyway that didn't work.

I looked in the ABit manual and nothing could help me out.

I cleared the CMOS and that didn't do anything.

I am afraid that the power supply did go kaput. But im hoping that isn't true and a simple explanation is possible without ripping out cables and such [bigsmile]

Any suggestions?

Well, the next logical step is to start swapping in known working parts. Since you suspect the power supply, try another one. I also suggest taking the motherboard out of the case and setting it on a solid, non-conductive surface.

Comment

First I;d try unhooking the HD's, fans, and CD drives and see what happens. Than I'd try tightening the screws on the mobo to make sure its stil tight. If that doesn't work, remove the motherbaord and such and place it on a nonconductive surface (I.E. cardboard) and hook it up to the PSU(power supply unit) and a video card and such and see what happens than. (Turn it on by putting a screwdriver across the pins that the power button hooks up to). If that fails, I'd try a different PSU. If its still no go, replace the mobo and that should fix your problems. If not, get back with us.

Comment

49ยข plastic placemats make a good non-conductive surface for testing too.

Comment

sorry for the tardy response,

but thank you very much for your input. I am going to email Antec about this, the PS has 3 year warranty which is great. I mean, ususally if it don't even turn on then its the PS....i mean if it was any component it would at least beep to say there is something going on....

But i reallly think its the power supply (crossing fingers hehee) because if it's the mobo.......argh..... i think it only has 1 year warranty....? (ABit KV7)......I'll see what antec says

Your ideas are soemthing for me to try out......im willing to give it a shot ... :D

Comment

Working...
          X