Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about overclocking a HP Pavilion, please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about overclocking a HP Pavilion, please help!

Hey everyone :D I got an HP Pavilion 753n and would like to know how overclock it, could anybody please help? in the bios the overclocking opitions are grayed out (locked I think), is their a way around this? maybe getting a new bios? something? anyway, think hard! and please help me figure out how to do this, are there software that I could use?, anyway, please help me out, cya :idea:

You're stuck; no oc on that machine. HP (and others) don't want to support ocing.

Comment

You probably can't overclock it. However, there might be some hope. Download CPU-Z from www.cpuid.org. It should tell you about your motherboard. Go to the manufacturers web site and see if there is a BIOS download for it. HPs has it's own BIOSs, but some (or all) of its systems use boards build by other companies. I remember from when I worked on an old HP Pavilion I had access to (not mine so I didn't try the BIOS) that I discovered through CPU-Z the system had a board not made by HP. I went to the site and there was a BIOS download newer than the computer. I didn't try it (again, not my system), but it looked like it may have worked. If you can do the same, you may be able to overclock. It's up to you.

However, before you do that, note you won't be able to safely get much as OEM systems like HP have virtually no cooling, Best you get a new CPU cooler and/or some case fans.

You will be able to OC the video card, however. That's assuming it's not on-board S3 or Intel graphics (S3 for Athlon and Intel for Pentiums and Celerons). If you have an AGP or PCI card from Nvidia or ATI, you can overclock that. Do some Google searches and go here:

Comment

no offence GaminGabe, but it's not worth it to overclock a HP. Even with a new bios or overclocking software you wont get the results you desire. If you want to overclock save your money and build your next PC from scratch, selecting parts that are known to have good overclocking potential.

I'm sure it's not what you wanted to hear, but sometimes the truth sucks.

Comment

There should be a "Sticky Thread" made for people who want to ask about overclocking Name Brand PC's so they will be aware that their only option is software such as SoftFSB or CPUFSB (google search for them) which may allow them to overclock a little, within Windows, the FSB but there will be no voltage adjustments and some homework will/may need to be done to find out what PLL chip the mainboard uses and if it's supported (if it isn't supported then there will be no overclocking at all).

Comment

in every 'tech' forum I have even been a part of, it's the same...
            hundreds of oem-type owners wanting to OC their cheap systems. most of them don't really understand what it means to overclock, just that some geekish friend said it could make their system faster. Even if they can overclock their OEM sytems, most of them wont be able to push it far enough to tell any real difference, assuming they don't destroy some hardware in the process. Stickies wont help, they never do, people will just jump on and ask their questions anyway.

Comment

True, but it seems like lately, there's been a number of threads here asking about that...

Comment

Working...
              X