Rheostat on a Volcano 7+?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rheostat on a Volcano 7+?

Has anybody replaced the 3-speed switch on a Volcano 7+ HSF with a rheostat yet? If so, how does it do, and from where did you get the rheostat? The 7+ is rated at 0.55 amps and 6.6 W, which exceeds the specs on the rheostat that CrazyPC offers. Radio Shack doesn't seem to carry a large enough rheostat, either, at least in my area. Thanks for any help...

Sorry... haven't tried changing out the switch on the 7+ unit. The included three-way switch does a pretty good job at giving you enough room to take care of any computing level. From the casual user to the hardcore performance hound, you will be able to find a setting that meets your needs. I guess that I just never had the need to fine tune my fan speeds to an extent beyond what this cooler can provide.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

try the automotive dept. of your local hardware store
      headlight dimmer switches or defroster fan switches work in a lot of cases with heavy duty fans
      they're 12v and usually rated at well over 1.5A

& it's much cheaper than ordering an higher wattage rheostat from an electronics store :D

Comment

Thanks to you both for your advice. The 3-speed switch is fine, but it doesn't lend itself to convenient mounting. Hence, the need for a rheostat.

RDR...I notice you have a Radeon 8500, as I have. It would be out of bounds to discuss that card in this "Cooling" forum compartment, but could you email me with any advice on safely OC'ing the 8500? Thanks...

Comment

RDR...I notice you have a Radeon 8500, as I have. It would be out of bounds to discuss that card in this "Cooling" forum compartment, but could you email me with any advice on safely OC'ing the 8500? Thanks... [/QUOTE]

I have an ATi retail model factory clocked at 275/275 - ran fine at 310/310 with stock cooling
          But since I can't leave well enough alone...I got some heat sinks from a TT memory cooling kit & cut them up to fit the Radeon ram chips & found a TT chrome orb in a bargin bin somewhere, pulled off the bottom clip, modified one side to clear the AGP slot - and glued everything on with AS epoxy - now I can get about 315/315..may be a little more without artifacts

I use powerstip for Oc'ing, even though it allows asycronous core and mem speeds - I find the Radeon runs best with both set to the same value.

the rule of thumb I follow is increase the clocks until you begin to see artifacts & then reduce your OC by about 25% for long term use....I've had a few cards deteriorate quickly when they run maxed out all the time

Get the latest drivers - especially if you're runing XP - early drivers were crap - the later ones are much, much better

Comment

Thanks for the 8500 OC info. Great minds must think alike--I also had a couple of TT memory heatsinks lying around, begging to be cut up and glued on the 8500 ram chips (saw a bag of 8 identical ram chips the other day on a website for $22 USD, so we made out). Sure beats the article I saw on some website regarding brass fittings cut up and made into 8500 ram sinks--would've taken all day and several knuckles...

Comment

Working...
            X