PDA

View Full Version : wtf is up with my computer?

Eaglee
06-17-2004, 01:46 AM
i keep gettting bad fps in every modern game. Lomac, farcry etc. i thought this was normal, but as i found it, it's not. espicially wiht patch 1.02. i have win xp pro and a 350w psu ATI Radeon 9800pro (128) | AMD XP2800 | Nvidia Nforce 2 M7NCD | Sea Gate ST3120022A 7200 RPM 120 gig Hard Drive | Infineon PC3200 512 mb RAM, i keep gettting bad fps in every modern game. Lomac, farcry etc. i thought this was normal, but as i found it, it's not. espicially wiht patch 1.02. i have win xp pro and a 350w psu, the rest is in my sig. in farcry, 35fps which i usually get is unsmooth, with a trillion of suttuters. in lomac it drops to about 25 fps lots of times, and this is in a mission with 2 objects and clear skies which as u know is very un smooth. ive tried just about every windows and lomac related performance tweek. im using kitten 4.5 because 4.6 ****ed up my system and the latest mobo drivers. is it because i have a ****ty mobo, or perhaps because of teh ****ty infenion memory or something? HELP!!!.

metallicat666
06-17-2004, 01:55 AM
what settings are you using.
resolution, AA, AF, detail settings?

Eaglee
06-17-2004, 02:03 AM
resolution 1024X768 aa and af 4x, detail very high. in farcry im using default high with lighting and shadows on medium. in lomac im using the default medium settings.

metallicat666
06-17-2004, 02:07 AM
try turning off AA and AF cos they reduce the performance.
do you have anything running in the background?
have you done any tweaks from the windows xp tweak guides?

Eaglee
06-17-2004, 02:12 AM
as i said i tried evert tweek from the winxp guide. i dont have anything running in the background. as for aa and af, bull ****. i have a 9800pro - it's designed for aa and af.

Yawgm0th
06-17-2004, 02:13 AM
First off, stop refering to the Catalysts as kittens. You're the only one that does, and it just prevents people from understanding you. :cheers:

It's possible you just haven't done well with your driver installation. You should have installed drivers and such in this order:
Service Pack 1
Chipset/motherboard drivers
Direct X 9.0b
Video Card drivers
Other miscellaneous drivers
Software

The most important part is the chipset drivers. If those weren't installed before other drivers, it can cause major problems. However, it won't always and may not the problem in this case.

What tweaks have you followed? You should look at the Windows XP Guide "Reformat to Relax" which is linked to at www.tweakguides.com. It has many tweaks and should cover any problems you might have created for yourself (IE viruses and spyware). Pay particular attention to your running processes (and the information regarding them in the guide). I never have more than 11 runnning (plusthe game) when gaming, but 16-19 might be more realistic for you. Disabling\turning off stuff you might use later temporarily can provide huge performance bonuses. My crappy computer can beat much better ones occasionally because it is well-tweaked and they are not. Spend some time with your running processes and services. :2cents:

Another thing is your visual settings. Even with a 9800 Pro, Far Cry might not run so smoothly at 1600X1200 with 8XAA and 16AF. Turn eye candy down a bit, if necessary.

Finally, have you done any Overclocking? OCing will help performance quite a bit (enough to make a noticable difference).

Eaglee
06-17-2004, 02:19 AM
i haven't tried o/cing as i have a very bad experince with it (my vid card can barely get to 390mhz core). I have used exactly that guide. i don't remember the order i installed the drivers in, but i dont think it was in that order. as i said im running at 4X aa and af. that shouldn't be a major problem for any game out right now.

Yawgm0th
06-17-2004, 02:24 AM
Your settings are probably okay, but like I said, try getting running processes down and if you get desperate, reinstall WinXP.

I have a guide that would be helpful to you and others for performance when reinstalling XP:
http://www.geocities.com/ptilsen/windows_guide.html

It really just covers some of the installation stuff that Persian Immortal's guide doesn't. Follow his guide and BlackViper's services guide to the letter (but be careful) and you should get great performance.

Also, what resolution are you running the game at?

metallicat666
06-17-2004, 02:26 AM
i might have found the cause of the far cry problems
i googled "far cry ati problems"
the first result is this http://www.planet42.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3957&page=1&pp=25

the first paragraph in the thread is

Virtually every ATI video card owner is experiencing problems with Far Cry. Major lockups and framerate issues. To my knowledge Ubi has yet to even acknowledge that there is a problem. The huge ATI user base will not let this slide! Be heard!

Eaglee
06-17-2004, 02:29 AM
Your settings are probably okay, but like I said, try getting running processes down and if you get desperate, reinstall WinXP.

I have a guide that would be helpful to you and others for performance when reinstalling XP:

It really just covers some of the installation stuff that Persian Immortal's guide doesn't. Follow his guide and BlackViper's services guide to the letter (but be careful) and you should get great performance.

Also, what resolution are you running the game at?
i run all games at 1024X768. I have 17 running process with all applications closed, and im none too eager to do a reformat.

Eaglee
06-17-2004, 02:42 AM
i might have found the cause of the far cry problems
i googled "far cry ati problems"
the first result is this http://www.planet42.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3957&page=1&pp=25

the first paragraph in the thread is

Virtually every ATI video card owner is experiencing problems with Far Cry. Major lockups and framerate issues. To my knowledge Ubi has yet to even acknowledge that there is a problem. The huge ATI user base will not let this slide! Be heard!
this is the first time ive heard such bs.

metallicat666
06-17-2004, 02:48 AM

didnt you say that you are suffering bad rame rates in far cry though.
seeing as you dont want my help im not gonna be giving you any more help.

Eaglee
06-17-2004, 02:51 AM

didnt you say that you are suffering bad rame rates in far cry though.
seeing as you dont want my help im not gonna be giving you any more help.
Im talking about the link in ur post. there seem to be a couple dozen guys there with probs that i never heard about in other forums (offical or not), and most of them have very old gfx cards (8500)

Yawgm0th
06-17-2004, 11:53 AM
Funny, my OCed 9200SE which has numerous problems seems to play FarCry just fine... At okay settings, too.

Eaglee
06-18-2004, 01:59 AM
in the bios the FSB Frequency is set to 166mhz. The memory frequency is set to auto. one weird thing about it is that it can only be set with percent. the memory timings are set to auto. ive a feeling these are not optimal settings.

06-18-2004, 02:15 AM
well you're using a biostar mobo, that would explain a few things. However, there's still hope, depending on which version of the mobo you are using. There are several different version of the Biostar M7NCD, which one are you using?

Eaglee
06-18-2004, 04:44 AM
no clue

Eaglee
06-18-2004, 06:51 AM
heres my cpu-z report:

CPU-Z Report
CPU-Z version 1.22a.

CPU(s)
Number of CPUs 1
Name AMD Athlon XP
Code Name Barton
Specification AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2800+
Family / Model / Stepping 6 A 0
Extended Family / Model 7 A
Package Socket A
Technology 0.13
Supported Instructions Sets MMX, Extended MMX, 3DNow!, Extended 3DNow!, SSE
CPU Clock Speed 2079.5 MHz
Clock multiplier x 12.5
Front Side Bus Frequency 166.4 MHz
Bus Speed 332.7 MHz
L1 Data Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L1 Instruction Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L2 Cache 512 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L2 Speed 2079.5 MHz (Full)
L2 Location On Chip
L2 Data Prefetch Logic yes
L2 Bus Width 64 bits

Mainboard and chipset
Motherboard model nVidia-nForce, unknown
BIOS vendor Phoenix Technologies, LTD
BIOS revision 6.00 PG
BIOS release date 08/01/2003
Chipset nVidia nForce2 400 rev. C1
Southbridge nVidia nForce2 MCP rev. A4
Sensor chip Winbond W83627HF
AGP Status enabled, rev. 3.0
AGP Data Transfert Rate 8x
AGP Side Band Addressing supported, enabled
AGP Aperture Size 128 MBytes

Memory
DRAM Type DDR-SDRAM
DRAM Size 512 MBytes
DRAM Frequency 199.6 MHz
FSB:DRAM 5:6
CAS# Latency 2.5 clocks
RAS# to CAS# 3 clocks
RAS# Precharge 3 clocks
Cycle Time (TRAS) 8 clocks
# of memory modules 1
Module 0 DDR-SDRAM PC3200 - 512 MBytes

Software
Windows version Microsoft Windows XP Workstation Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)

metallicat666
06-18-2004, 07:01 PM
try running the memory 1:1 with the fsb.
the athlon processors dont really like the memory to be running asyncronous.

Eaglee
06-18-2004, 10:49 PM
try running the memory 1:1 with the fsb.
the athlon processors dont really like the memory to be running asyncronous.
tried that... things looked smoother and i got a couple fps increase. i'd still like to get more fps out of this machine.

amd_man2005
06-19-2004, 12:11 AM
Well for one if you would quit being so damn retarded and stuff maybe you would get better help. "I think I installed the drivers in that order" for example. Thinking you did it don't mean ****, either you did or didn't, and if you didn't that explains all your problems.

Eaglee
06-19-2004, 12:22 AM
Well for one if you would quit being so damn retarded and stuff maybe you would get better help. "I think I installed the drivers in that order" for example. Thinking you did it don't mean ****, either you did or didn't, and if you didn't that explains all your problems.
WTF is ur damn problem? how am I supposed to rememeber in what order i installed my drivers if I reformatted almost a year ago? :roll: :roll: :roll:

metallicat666
06-19-2004, 04:13 AM
WTF is ur damn problem? how am I supposed to rememeber in what order i installed my drivers if I reformatted almost a year ago? :roll: :roll: :roll:

reformat.
it will clear out all of the deadwood and shoud make the system peform better

amd_man2005
06-19-2004, 07:07 AM

Wow. Just wow. If you would've told us its been a year we could've had all this solved a long time ago. It's simply time for a reformat.

KoolDrew
06-29-2004, 06:35 AM
ya reformat. And i never read yawgomoths guide but it looks like it would help.

06-29-2004, 01:21 PM
reformat after a year? you guys need help.

if any of you end up on a help desk somewhere, let us know which one. I'll make sure to refer my clients somewhere else.

amd_man2005
06-29-2004, 01:35 PM
No, after a year really is a good time to format unless you keep up extremely well with your OS, and not many people do.

06-29-2004, 01:42 PM
mainting a system for a year isn't hard. As you get more experience, I think you'll find that formating should be used only as a last resort. Unfortunately, most budding geeks see it as a cure-all to anything. It takes much more skill to fix a problem than it does to format. When it comes to fixing real problems, you will make people much happier (and thus make much more money) if you can just fix it. There is no time constraints for the 'ideal' time to format a box. It can either be fixed or it can't.

wayout44
06-29-2004, 01:43 PM
You must do some really bad abuse to the os to warrant a reformat in a year.

amd_man2005
06-29-2004, 02:44 PM
Yeah, I'm just used to the run of the mill morons installing Kazaa and all that crapola and trashing the OS in 6 months lately...which tends to be the crap I get to fix, where in that case it is easier to just reformat the SOB

wayout44
06-29-2004, 02:47 PM
Even that can be fixed if you know what you're doing.

amd_man2005
06-29-2004, 02:51 PM
Even that can be fixed if you know what you're doing.
Yes, but normally it takes less time and is much simpler to do a reformat, if the user will okay that though, but yeah about anything can be fixed without a reformat.

Vivec
06-30-2004, 03:09 AM
How long have you had that 9800Pro and is it a Sapphire? If you purchased it recently chances are you got duped by Saphhire into buying the 128bit memory bus version of the card.