Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lan set up!

hey guys!

i'm thinking of having a small gaming lan with some mates and would like some info thanks! i'm going to use my 4 port router and hook a 8 port switch into it giving me 10 ports all up (10 pc's). I thought that you had to give each pc it's own ip adress but yesterday I was playing around with the 2 pc's hooked up to my router and I played battlefield vietnam on them but I hadn't changed their ip's! they were both set to "obtain ip automatically" is this due to my router doing wierd stuff for me or just normal?

That's the point of a router. It has built-in DHCP and will give you your IPs. If you were just using a regular hub, you would have to assign IPs manually. With a router, you don't have to and you can share an internet connection.

Comment

great! but whats the story if I plug a switch into my router? will I then have to specify ip's to the pc's running off the switch? or will the router detect all the pc's?

Comment

I believe it will get the IPs automatically.

Comment

Yes the router will detect and distribute IP's to all the PC's that are plugged into the switch's ports. Essentially all you are doing is adding more ports to the router itself, so it treats it as such.

Comment

I run a fairly large 98SE/XP home network here with a gigabit backbone and a few 8port 10/100 switches (no router) but all PC's are set to automatically detect network settings and none of them have any communication probs.
            Last edited by wayout44; 07-12-2004, 01:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X