ABIT IC7-G MAXII ADVANCE Mobo, Memory Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABIT IC7-G MAXII ADVANCE Mobo, Memory Question

Hello, this could be considered my introduction to the forum, though I've been lurking for a while (unregistered). I'm building a new system, and it has this mobo (Opinions on a different mobo? I like this one for the 4 sata ports (could be useless, could be better off with just 2, it caught my eye for some reason))<o:p></o:p>

<table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="799" style="width: 599pt; border-collapse: collapse;" u1:str=""> <col width="799" style="width: 599pt;"> <tbody><tr style="height: 12.75pt;"> <td width="799" style="padding: 0in; width: 599pt; height: 12.75pt;" u1:str="ABIT &quot;IC7-G MAXII ADVANCE&quot; i875P Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU -RETAIL "> ABIT "IC7-G MAXII ADVANCE" i875P Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU -RETAIL <o:p></o:p>

</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;"> <td style="padding: 0in; height: 12.75pt;"> <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <o:p></o:p><!--[endif]-->

</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;"> <td style="padding: 0in; height: 12.75pt;" u1:str="Model# IC7-G MAXII Item # N82E16813127152 "> Model# IC7-G MAXII Item # N82E16813127152 <o:p></o:p>

</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;"> <td style="padding: 0in; height: 12.75pt;"> Specifications:<o:p></o:p>

</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;"> <td style="padding: 0in; height: 12.75pt;"> Supported CPU: Intel Pentium 4 (Prescott and Northwood) Processors<o:p></o:p>

</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;"> <td style="padding: 0in; height: 12.75pt;"> Chipset: Intel 875P + ICH5R<o:p></o:p>

</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;"> <td style="padding: 0in; height: 12.75pt;"> FSB: 800/533MHz<o:p></o:p>

</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;"> <td style="padding: 0in; height: 12.75pt;"> RAM: 4x DIMM support Dual-Channel DDR400 Max 4GB(ECC)<o:p></o:p>

</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;"> <td style="padding: 0in; height: 12.75pt;"> IDE: 2x ATA 100 up to 4 Devices<o:p></o:p>

</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;"> <td style="padding: 0in; height: 12.75pt;"> Slots: 1x AGP Pro 8X/4X(0.8/1.5V), 5x PCI<o:p></o:p>

</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;"> <td style="padding: 0in; height: 12.75pt;"> Ports: 2xPS/2,1xLPT,1xCOM,SPDIF In/Out,3xIEEE1394a(Rear 1),8xUSB2.0(Rear 4),1xLAN,Audio Ports<o:p></o:p>

</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;"> <td style="padding: 0in; height: 12.75pt;"> Onboard Audio: 6-Channel AC97 Codec<o:p></o:p>

</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;"> <td style="padding: 0in; height: 12.75pt;"> Onboard LAN: Intel PRO/1000 Gigabit Ethernet<o:p></o:p>

</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;"> <td style="padding: 0in; height: 12.75pt;"> Onboard SATA/RAID: 4x Serial ATA, RAID 0/1<o:p></o:p>

</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;"> <td style="padding: 0in; height: 12.75pt;"> Onboard 1394: 3 Ports<o:p></o:p>

</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;"> <td style="padding: 0in; height: 12.75pt;"> Form Factor: ATX<o:p></o:p>

</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;"> <td style="padding: 0in; height: 12.75pt;"> <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <o:p></o:p><!--[endif]-->

</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;"> <td style="padding: 0in; height: 12.75pt;"> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-127-152&depa=0<o:p></o:p>

</td> </tr> </tbody> </table> $129.00 US

My question...I'd like to put in ONE stick of 1 gb ram, 400 DDR with ECC, and I don't know where to look to see if the board can handle it (Something about the controller being able to handle 4 gb, but the board only being able to handle 512 mb max, something like that.)<o:p></o:p>

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o:p></o:p>

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <o:p></o:p>

Thanks

Welcome to TweakTown.

I own that exact mobo and it's a nice piece of hardware. The board can fully handle 4gb (1gb X 4) without problem. Although, personally I wouldn't go with ECC RAM as non-ECC is faster and cheaper. Also, whatever you do, make sure the stick are identical and get an even number, 2 preferably, so you can use dual channel.

Comment

Thanks much for the speedy reply.

I'm interested in this memory(cheap SAMSUNG):

Yet I'd be willing to wait and get this(Corsair XMS):

That second one would be interesting in my modded case. <label for="rb_iconid_10"></label>

Comment

g'day champion.

I would suggest you wait and get the corsair. I have always had the highest regard and performance with corsair.

If price is an issue you might want to check out GeiL ram. Based on experience, the performance is rather good for money.

Comment

I'd definately wait and get the Corsair.

Comment

I already figured it would take something like three to four months to gather up the money, so patience won't be a problem, just holding onto the money will be. And going

Thanks for the advice.

Comment

There's no need for me to comment any more on the motherboard, but are you dead-set on getting a P4 system? Unless you are way into video encoding (even in that area the high-end 64s can be better, though), you should be looking at a socket 939 (Athlon 64) setup. With $1500, you'll be looking at a 3800 or maybe an FX-53, along with a great video card, just as much RAM, and plenty of HDD space . You could even get RAM with low timings (instead of the 3-3-3 you'll see with 1GB modules) and get four 512MB sticks instead of two 1GB ones. If you wanted to actually save money, you could get a 3500 and less RAM (more on that below) and not really degrade performance much (possibly increase it, depending on what hardware your getting..

In the event that you stick with P4s, you might want to consider some of this:

It's the only 1GB PC3500 stick at Newegg. While it does lack any advertised timings, I bet it will come in handy if you even OC that thing. Although, the Corsair may simply be better quality to the point where the faster RAM wouldn't actually be faster.

But that's all assuming you get two GBs of RAM. Is there a particular reason you want that much? It will make very little difference over 1GB in games (that's mostly in load times, too) and even in intensive applications like video encoding (or graphics editing, in your case) it probably wouldn't make as much difference as spending the money on a better processor (BTW, what processor are you getting) or something like that.

That's just my two cents on it. There's really nothing wrong with what you've got as it is. Besides, you may have very good reasons for wanting this partcular setup (that $1500 is coming from somewhere other than just that RAM). Sorry for going mostly off-topic with this, but I just can't help but wonder how you have allocated all of that money on a P4 system.

Comment

I might as well put the title of all the part for this pc down right now (not detailed like my excel though):

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <o:p></o:p>

<table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="810" style="width: 607.75pt; border-collapse: collapse;"> <tbody><tr style="height: 12.75pt;"> <td valign="top">
                </td> <td valign="top">
                </td> <td width="810" nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom" style="padding: 0.75pt 0.75pt 0in; width: 607.75pt; height: 12.75pt;"> Corsair Value Select Memory 184 Pin 1GB DDR PC-3200, Model VS1GB400C3 - OEM <o:p></o:p>

</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;"> <td valign="top">
                </td> <td valign="top">
                </td> <td nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom" style="padding: 0.75pt 0.75pt 0in; height: 12.75pt;"> TYAN ATI RADEON 9800PRO Video Card, 128MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "Tachyon G9800 PRO-M" -RETAIL <o:p></o:p>

</td> <td valign="top">
                </td> <td nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom" style="padding: 0.75pt 0.75pt 0in; height: 12.75pt;"> Hitachi 80GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model HDS722580VLSA80, OEM<o:p></o:p>

</td> <td valign="top">
                </td> <td nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom" style="padding: 0.75pt 0.75pt 0in; height: 12.75pt;"> Intel Pentium 4/ 2.8E GHz 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - OEM<o:p></o:p>

</td> <td valign="top">
                </td> <td nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom" style="padding: 0.75pt 0.75pt 0in; height: 12.75pt;"> ABIT "IC7-G MAXII ADVANCE" i875P Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU -RETAIL <o:p></o:p>

</td> <td valign="top">
                </td> <td nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom" style="padding: 0.75pt 0.75pt 0in; height: 12.75pt;"> ASPIRE Turbo Case Green Super Light Weight Heavy Duty Aluminum Server Chassis with 500W Power Supply, Model "ATXA6SW/500" <o:p></o:p>

</td> <td valign="top">
                </td> <td nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom" style="padding: 0.75pt 0.75pt 0in; height: 12.75pt;"> TEAC 52X32X52 Internal EIDE CD-RW Combo Drive Black Bezel, Model DW-552G BLK, OEM <o:p></o:p>

</td> <td valign="top">
                </td> <td nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom" style="padding: 0.75pt 0.75pt 0in; height: 12.75pt;"> NU Technology Black 8X DVD+RW/-RW Drive, Model DDW-082 BLK -OEM <o:p></o:p>

</td> <td valign="top">
                </td> <td nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom" style="padding: 0.75pt 0.75pt 0in; height: 12.75pt;"> Mitsumi 1.44MB 3.5Inch Floppy Disk Drive, Model D359M3, OEM <o:p></o:p>

</td> <td valign="top">
                </td> <td nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom" style="padding: 0.75pt 0.75pt 0in; height: 12.75pt;"> Aspire KO-COMBO-GN Green Keyboard and Optical Scroll Mouse Combo Set PS/2 105keys -RETAIL <o:p></o:p>

</td> <td valign="top">
                </td> <td nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom" style="padding: 0.75pt 0.75pt 0in; height: 12.75pt;"> RatPadz Model GS Mousing Surface/ Mouse Pad, OEM <o:p></o:p>

</td> </tr> </tbody> </table>

I will probably change the design over the weekend a bit, if I have time. Suggestions? Places where it might not work out? I very much enjoy your opinions.
                <o:p></o:p>
                Last edited by MRZigzz; 07-09-2004, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Here's your problem: You want two GB of RAM to improve performance but your only looking at a P4 2.8E. Almost anything, AutoCAD included, would recieve more benefits from a faster processor than 2 GBs of RAM. I would highly suggest getting two stick of 512MB, running them in dual channel, and forgetting about the two GBs.
                  As for the Athlon 64, you seem to have some misconceptions. The fact that it is 64-bit isn't why it performs better than P4s. For starters, A64s have that 128KB L1 cache that AMD has been using since Athlons and Durons. But so do Athlon XPs. Athlon 64s have on-die memory controller and have replaced FSB with HyperThreading. The difference is huge. An Athlon 64 FX-53 will beat any Pentium 4 in most applications (the high-end ones can top it in some encoding areas). The unreleased FX-55 will even win in most encoding situations. But even the lower-end 64s will beat out P4s in other areas. In business applications and gaming, A64s tear apart more expensive P4s. I could go on, but you should read this article anyway:

You'll notice the Pentium 4s that beat the even the Athlon 64 3500 are clocked over 3 GHz, and in most cases EEs. Your 2.8E won't even come close to the 3500 in many applications, and probably can't win even in encoding. That said, a 2.8E costs under $200 and the only athlon 64 in its price range is the socket 754 2800 (which will probably have around equal performance or worse). But that's irrelevant as you will get better performance on a 3500 system with 1GB of RAM than on a 2.8 system with 2GB of RAM, but you won't spend any more money. I really think you should go with a socket 939 setup and only 1GB of RAM. That will leave the best upgrading option (that part isn't even debatable), on top of providing the best bang-for-buck. A 3500 and an A8v (the mobo you'd want) are $600 together and the RAM will be abput $200 - $250. Throw in the video card (get this Sapphire instead of the Tyan, same price) for about $200 and the HDD (BTW, get a Maxtor, Seagate, or WD instead of a Hitachi) for $70 or so and you have over a hundred to spend on all those drives, the PSU, and the case (which you can get for about that price). It should come down to the same price as your 2.8E setup but will perform much better, especially in games.

If for some odd reason (actually a 3.4C is pretty good still) you still want a P4 setup, at least upgrade that processor to a 3.4C or even a 3.2E (I'd go with the 3.4C as Prescotts are just silly but it's a lot less than the 3.4C).

Basically, a 3.4C, 3.2E, or 64 3500 with 2 x 512MB RAM (dual channel, of course) will all perform better than a 2.8E with 2GB of RAM in just about everything, but will cost the same or even less. Maybe not loading times in games. Maybe.
                  (You would see two little pennies here but the :2cents: smilie is gone)

Comment

Ouch, my head hurts after all the intake of knowledge. I knew that I should have spent more time at AnandTech.

Hmm...I think that I'll leave this design and build a new AMD system with the same/better performance by sometime next week and post it here. Just means that I won't get any experience with P4 systems for awhile.

Ya, I guess I should go with dual 512 (completely forgot about dual channel, silly, silly me). And get an AMD processor (and board), the Athlon 64 FX-53 looks really nice, nice enough to save up the $800 to get it. And the a8v you were talking about looks very interesting. Though I'm getting the same video, I already have the Sapphire in another computer (Maybe this one should be my monster machine, adding in the X800 video card <label for="rb_iconid_6"></label>).

Thanks much, all started off as a simple memory question.

Comment

Though I would have commented on the P4 choice of system, Yawgm0th was easily ahead of me in correcting you :P

By your response I thought you had been a little senior and was a Pentium till I die person, hence me giving no persuasion what so ever.

I myself am an AMD man :D

Dual channel, with low latency and correct cas timings, is far more advantageous than the 1gb stick of RAM listed on new egg.

I've got one computer here

Athlon T-bird 1.4, still running strong, amd owns the fat lady, she can't sing :P

Comment

Working...
                      X