wich 3d card to buy??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wich 3d card to buy??

hi im planning to buy either a geforce 3 ti500 or geforce 4 ti4400, but im not so sure, i got an amd-k6(2),500mhz,128ram,dx8.1,xp devilsown,8GB hd,soundblasterlive value,trident blade 3d video card,telenet(broadband cable) silicomethernet adapter, and yeah its a compaq presario 7462 internet pc, so will one of those two geforce cards run smoothly and will i be capable of playing medal of honour, unreal tournament, new world order, counter strike, etc without the screen changing every 2 secs and graphics being so damn bad like it is now, thats why i really want to have a geforce, i love multiplayer games especially on the net, but now i cant play any good game without refreshing the screen every 2 secs, really frustratin, im going tomorrow to my local pc store but i cant make up my mind wich one to buy, so if anyone can help me with tellin if it will run smoothly and if its compatible with the stuff i got in my pc, and if i at last could play those net multiplayer games wich i hunger so much about :D thanks in advance..

1. does your motherboard had an AGP slot capable of supporting either of those cards?

2. If you MB can support a card like that - your CPU would likely be a huge bottle neck on a set up like that - a GF4MX440 would probably be more than enough.

3. If you're willing to fork out the dough for a GF4 Ti - save up a little more and get a whole new system - an AMD XP with a ECS DDR MB w/ a GF4MX -would probably cost about the same & UT and counterstrike would absolutely fly compared to the set up you have now

Now after that glowing recommendation of the GF4MX - a warning
    current games will run great on it - future games may not run as good since it does not have hardware DX8 support

Don't get a GF4MX to run Unreal2

that's my opinion anyway:cheers:

Comment

Id recommend just buying a new mobo/cpu. I myself have an amd k6-2 550mhz 192 mb ram and a voodoo 5 5500 pci (replacing onboard trident blade 8mb card). I can tell you that my system is bottlenecked a whole lot. You probably would just be better off upgrading mobo and cpu. You can get the pair for about 150+a cheaper video card(geforce 2 gts-~$55 or geforce 3 ti200-~140)for now, and it'll be around the price of a geforce4 ti4400 anyway.

Comment

btw, i am currently in the process of building a new computer. the amd k6-2 just has to go.

Comment

I figured out how much it would cost u to upgrade.

The PNY Geforce 4 ti4400 = $264

A very good mobo from epox-
          EPOX EP-8K7A AMD761 = $70

For processors, its your choice, but for those games-
          Duron 1ghz = $51 you can overclock this to 1.2ghz with ease

Graphics
          PNY Geforce3 TI200 64MB DDR = $135

Total cost for mobo, cpu, graphics = $256

As you can see, you can get more if you dont get a geforce 4, and get a geforce3 ti200 new mobo, and a new processor. I guarantee you that if you put a geforce 4 ti4400 in that computer of yours, you will not be happy with the results.

Comment

Yes, I agree. The K6 was a real hell for a buddy of mine. I like the Athlon and Duron's from AMD, but in gaming the K6 was butting heads with the Ali chipset and the Voodoo 3 2000 PCI card. Swapped boards and CPU to an Abit BE6 and PII 400, the thing ran much better!

Go with their suggestion, except for the board if you still want a GF4 as there are some boards that have capacitors that prevent the install of a GF4. Still, if ya stick with the suggestion you've been given, that won't be an issue. It is something to keep in mind though.

Yeah, that GF4, if it runs on that board, will be a major downer in performance. That CPU simply doesn't have the muscle to really use a GF4. There's a very good chance you'd see little if any improvement over what you have now.

Comment

well i just found out there is no agp slot for 3d card supporting so a real bummer...but i talked to my local dealer and hes gonna take over my stuff and "giving" some better stuff like a 1 ghz processor etc... ill let ya know if i got it i gotta wait to tomorrow, but anyway all of you ver much thanked for youre opinions, it really helped me to choose better stuff, but like i said lets see tomorrow what hes got :D greetz devilish

Comment

Even if you had the AGP slot it's very unlikely that the motherboard would suply enough power to the card anyway.
                Get a PCI GF2 MX400 and that's about as good as you'll get for that system. :smokin:
                <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Comment

p4 1ghz ey ? thats a new one :p

Comment

P3 more likely i didn't think that there were 1Ghz P4....unless its been de clocked lol.

Comment

jeah p3 thats what i ment :D

Comment

hehe :D

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
                            Even if you had the AGP slot it's very unlikely that the motherboard would suply enough power to the card anyway.
                            Get a PCI GF2 MX400 and that's about as good as you'll get for that system. :smokin:
                            <center>:cheers:</center>
                            Right you are, Wiggo. I have a presario with an AGP slot, the best I got it to use was a GF2pro, which replaced my VooDoo3. When I put the GF3 in, it would't even boot. :thumbs do Not even close to enough power. Now the GF3 lives happily in my self-built system.

:afro: JM
                            Have you hugged a Midget today?

Comment

well i got the stuff, 256 mb ram,geforce3ti500,52xcdrom,intel celeron 1ghz, new motherboard, huge tower with 300W feeding, thats it and i must say it is awesome, i never thought it would go that fast as i does now...:D

Comment

Working...
                              X