Corsair 512mb pc-3200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corsair 512mb pc-3200

I just bought a stick of 512 pc-3200 by corsair. But after installing it, my computer doesn't boot up properly. Instead the screen stays black and the monitor shuts off after 5 seconds. I've checked SEVERAL times to see if I put it in correctly but the same thing happens. I have a p4 1.9ghz processor by the way with a geforce4 ti4400. Can someone help with this please? Thanks.

Re: Corsair 512mb pc-3200

You most likely need to raise the voltage for it to work properly. If you boot with old memory first, raise the voltage to 2.7-2.8v save then shut down, swap the modules then reboot.

Comment

My friend says it may be because my mobo isn't compatable with pc-3200.. is that a possiblity? If so I think my mobo can only support up to pc-2700.

Comment

oh ya.. and i'm not swapping RAM.. just adding more to what i have in my last DIMM slot.

Comment

Corsair memory is known to run with higher voltages so then before adding that stick go into the BIOS and raise the DIMM voltage first and is the other module of the same make and type? If it is not then that may also be causing a compatibilty problem. Have you tried just the Corsair module by itself?

Comment

You can use PC3200, thats no problem. If the voltage was an issue, it should still boot and reognize the other stick, so either you have an incompatibility of ya two RAM sticks of some other hardware fault. Try booting with just the old stick of RAM, then try booting with the Corsair, if you get a boot-up for the old stick, than at least up your vdimm to 2.8v, if possible, than try with the stick of Corsair alone. If both bootup, when alone, than you've definately got an incompatibility. If you don't get anything from either stick, you've either knocked something loose or messed up your mobo or CPU.

Comment

K guys, I finally figured it out.. sorta.. My third DIMM slot is the only one that's not working for some lame reason. Could this be the voltage issue? I tried putting in the new corsair by itself in the first slot and it booted up fine. But whenever I put a stick into the third DIMM slot it doesn't work.. Is this still the voltage problem??? And is BIOS in start-up? tap F8 key trick?

Comment

That slot could be hosed. BIOS...well, for most boards, it's the Delete key, and you hit it when the machine is booting up, before it starts booting into Windows. Now, if it's a pre-built box, that's different. One of the Fx keys (F1, F2, F3, etc), Tab, or Insert might be the magic one.

The F8 key is part of Windows, and deals in part with the boot up, like if you need to get into Safe Mode for some reason.

Comment

All right.. Maybe i'll try increasing the voltage then.. Anything I should take into consideration before doing so?

Comment

Other than that it might not fix your problem...no. It's worth a shot. It'd suck to find out that you sent back a perfectly good stick without trying everything. If it's a prebuilt system, you might not have voltage adjustments available to you.

Comment

Is there any reason why you can't just use the 1st and 2nd DIMM slots instead?

Comment

Yeah I can use the first 2 slots.. But that means i'd only be getting 768 megs of RAM (The new 512, and one of my current 256's). That means I basically payed for 256 megs of RAM for the price of a stick of 512. Kinda sucks =\

No worries though, today i just bought another stick of the same stuff(Corsair 512 pc3200) so now I just have a stick of 512 in both slots 1 and 2. I still ended up over paying for what I got because of the stupid 3rd slot though :(

Oh well, its pretty much settled now.. I got my new 1 gig of RAM in. Thanks all

Steve

Comment

Ah, I thought you already had a single 512mb stick. Gkad you got it all worked out though for now. You can always try and sell what you have left in the Trading Post forums or elsewhere.

Comment

Working...
                          X