HIS X800XT and X800PRO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HIS X800XT and X800PRO

It occurs to me that this test and similar ones in the future would be more meaningful if TweakTown made a couple changes in its tests.

First and formost, get yourself a socket 939 rig. Are you really suprised that a P4 3.2 GHz is limiting the scores? A 3500 will outperform it for the most part in gaming (hell, the 3400 can, too), but a 3800 or FX would really allow you to get much further. Sure, it's expensive, but otherwise it's almost pointless.

The other thing is to stop using so many synthetic benchmarks, especially 3DMark 03. They mean almost nothing in the long run. Get some more gaming tests. Get older games; get some newer ones. Where are all of those Quake 3-based games (other than Q3 itself)? Where are the Battlefield games? Where's Max Payne 2? Where's America's Army? Where's Wolfenstein? Hell, where's Warcraft III? Try a wider variety of settings, too. I see FarCry at 1024x768, I see FarCry at 1600x1200, but where's FarCry with AntiAliasing? Where's FarCry with Anisotropic Filtering?

I think taking that into consideration might produce more interesting results in future tests. The only thing I really learned from that article is that getting an X800 is wasteful if you don't have something faster than a P4 3.2GHz Prescott.
    Last edited by Yawgm0th; 07-20-2004, 03:52 AM.

Re: HIS X800XT and X800PRO

Thanks for the suggestions, Yawgm0th

We'll be re-thinking our benchmarking suites for each type of product shortly and will be part of the new features of the new design in the coming months. If you (or anyone else) would like to make a list of benchmarks you think should be included, list them here and we'll take them into serious consideration.

You'll find HQ (AA and AF) benchmarks of UT2003 and UT2004 along with Far Cry on this page:

http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...d=671&dPage=12

Keep the suggestions coming!

Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Re: HIS X800XT and X800PRO

How dumb of me! I guess I just skiped past the parts at the top since I was so used to the explanations of each benchmark. In that case, I should clarify. It would be cool if we saw the performance differences of AA, AF, AA + AF, and no AA or AF. That way, we can tell if one card is much better at AA and AF than the other.

Comment

Working...
      X