Random Restarting, need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random Restarting, need help

I have a 1.4Ghz, esc k7s5a, mxtor hd(30 and 60GB), elsa gf3, 3com network card, audigy, dvd,300W psu, anyway just through normal use of win xp pro I have been getting random restarts, a couple of times while playing games(only C&C renegade so far) and couple of times while online. I think it may have happened when just searching through win explorer too. i don't know if it is a chronic problem yet, but it looks to be getting that way.
    Please help urgently, C&C renegade rocks so much, I need to play some more.

What drives are you running? How powerful is your PSU?
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Well it's a 300w PSU but ECS K7S5A motherboards are notorious for doin' that with low quality PSU's though your problem may well be that XP is restarting when it's comin' across an error so right-click the My Computer icon, select Properties, then the Advanced tab. Click the Startup and Recovery button and remove the check box next to Automatically Reboot. When the machine restarts next, it will display a blue screen (a STOP error) with something like "IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_EQUAL". Tell us what the error is and the name of the file mentioned and we'll see if we can pin point the prob for ya. :smokin:
      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Ok, thanks for the help, I only just remembered to check this post as it just restarted again, I unchecked the automatic restart box, did you mean next time it restarts itself it will tell me the error or just anytime I restart it will show log of previous errors?

Comment

Yeah I know my mobo is notorious, i've had a few problems with network cards but have been running a win me system quite stable for 5 months, no PSU probs before that. It was an AMD approved 300W PSU, but i think generic, came with the case(but from decent o/cers shop).Is PSU most likely to be the problem?

Comment

I kind of got the info, i didn't see any file name but it had a bunch of number code stuff, I also checked in the event log under system and it said system rebooted from bugcheck, the bugcheck was 0x000000d1 (0xff24a000, 0x00000002,0x00000000,0xf57bbf2d) A dump was saved in c:\windows\minidump\mini033002-02.dmp

There is a little thing in the box with link to microsoft help for event thing, I'm checking that now also.

Comment

nothing in microsoft help, now very, very totally surprising.

Comment

I've now had 14 of these reboots in the last day, its get to the point where I can't use my computer. it keeps giving minidump, physical mem dump thing, with all the numbers the same except for the first numbers in the bracket(if you see what I mean), I also have a folder of the minidumps but i don't know if these are records of them or I think they are backup for the lost data that is dumped, they are 64KB each so they must be backup. What is this bugchecking thing, is it needed, can I turn it off????

Comment

ok sounds like some serious work needs to be done to identify the problem.

1. Have you downloaded the lastest bios's for Mboard,.

2. Are you running the latests released drivers (not leaked or beta)

3. Have you done a clean install lately? If not it might be time, make sure you backup your data and then format the HD.

4. Start removing hardware and see if the problem goes away

5. Start running motherboard monitor or equivalent to check your power supply

6. do have the updates from microsoft installed (ie windowsupdate)

7. Have you noticed any pattern with the reboots. I found out that I couldn't run my PC at 4:30 since all the dairies turned at 4:30 and dropped the power level so low it'd cause my PC to crash. I eventaully worked this out since I wrote down every time it crashed what i was doing

Hmm that should keep you busy for a while:devil:
                  http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

The same thing is happing to me at work, there is a whole lab full of xp pro boxes and they just restart all the time.
                    I found the solution was to pick them up and toss them through the window, that wasn't a big problem they were compaqs but I broke the window in the process.

Comment

Working...
                    X