Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shims

Hey,
    Has anyone experiance from installing shims?
    Is that worth to buy?
    Thanks for answer

I would recommend them to anyone putting and Athlon/Duron system together for the first time as insurance against damaging the core on these CPU's when installing the HSF.
    Also be sure to get the right shim for the CPU that your using.
    Oh and be sure not to use heatsink grease on the shim, just the core is all. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Just my opinion, but shims have become pretty much useless if you're using a modern cooler. The purpose of the shim is to make it to where you couldn't bring the full force of a heatsink down at an angle atop the processor when you're mounting it. The force of some of the older clipping mechanisms made it an easy task to chip or break the fragile core of the processor.

But times have changed, and so have the means of attaching the heatsink. With few exceptions, most coolers have reduced the amount of sheer force required to install a sink. Also, there are many new clips used that make it nearly impossible to break the core.

If you're confident that you can lay the heatsink flat on top of the processor before you attach the clipping mechanism, then you can save yourself a few bucks. But if you want the added security of a shim, then make sure to follow Wiggo's advice and get the type that is made for your processor. The Athlon and the Athlon XP use different shims.
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

I agree with Dart on this one. With all the new coolers out it is becoming very easy to attach a heatsink to your board with not damage.

Comment

Thank you all for advice. I ordered Swiftech MCX 462-A CPU heat sink which is assembled to mobo by 4 screws.
          As I understand the shims are used mostly to decrease the temp.They are saying that the temp. will be reduced by 1-5C.

Comment

I agree as well...

Darth's advice has helped me go 8-0 installing recent athlons...

Comment

Originally posted by [size=6
              Yul[/size]]
              As I understand the shims are used mostly to decrease the temp.They are saying that the temp. will be reduced by 1-5C.
              In no way is a shim going to help you decrease temps, in fact if anything they'll give you a slight increase with copper ones, though the non-metal non-conductive CoolerGuys Cool Shims should make no difference to temps. :smokin:
              <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Wiggo hit it right on the head. The only purpose of a shim is to protect your processor's core. Anyone who tells you that a shim will reduce temperatures is uninformed.
                Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                My Toys

Comment

Thanks Wiggo & Darth for sharing your experiance.

Comment

Working...
                  X