replacing Intel with amd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacing Intel with amd

Hey people, I have an Intel based comp. and I was wondering if I can convert it to an AMD based unit. I know (if it is possible) I have to replace my motherboard, and processor (of coarse) I want to go with an AMD XP 18-1900 with ddr memory. I also know I will have to get a 300 watt power supply. If anyone has any imput on this matter I would apriciate it. Thanks.

Well it sounds like you have everything covered there. :smokin:
    Good Luck. :thumb:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

What processor are you changing from exactly? If you choose a motherboard with the same southbridge chipset you won't have to format if you are using Windows 2000 or XP.
      Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
      Managing Director
      Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

If your are upgrading that much stuff, I would suggest buying a little bit more, and keeping both computers. The more computers the better! hehe

Comment

I'm running an Intel pentium 3, 500mhz, with windows 98se. Yah, I thought about buying a new comp. but I think I can rebuild this one for less money (if possible). It has a 440bx chipset. If that helps. I've priced motherboards and I can pick one up for around $200.00. One that supports ddr that is, and a proccessor for around $200.00-250.00. (amdxp 1800). Hopefully all of this will help you all. Thanks for the imput.

Comment

If you want a DDR board, you'll also need to buy DDR memory - You will notice a HUGE performance increase from your older P3 processor. Since it is WIndows 9x, you won't have to format to use the same OS- But it may not be very stable.
            Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
            Managing Director
            Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

just for safety and stability i'd definitely reccomend formatting..

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Tweak
                Since it is WIndows 9x, you won't have to format to use the same OS- But it may not be very stable.
                I believe that a full reinstall will be required. The system will not run without it. I can say this with surety because I tried to bypass this step when I switched from a P3-600 to an AMD 1000. I too was using an i440BX based motherboard and went to a VIA one. It died a most horrible death (the OS that is).
                Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                My Toys

Comment

I can reformat my system no problem. I had to do that to get rid of windows xp. What a nightmare that os was. So I take it all I need to upgrade is mobo, processor, fan, 300 watt power suply, and memory of coarse? I found a website that has a combo package which includes, asus A7N266-E (mobo), amd Athlon xp 2000, and Kingston 512 non-ecc memory for $523.00. Is this a decent deal? I hear asus is a good mobo. Is this true? There is roughly 20-30 mobo's to choose from. If I get this package all's I would need is a good fan.

Comment

I would look for another motherboard than the one you chose. The A7N266-E board uses the nForce chipset, and they tend to be a bit pricey for the amount of performance that you get. Look for something with either the KT266A chipset or the newer KT333 chipset. Both will use DDR memory and will give you better overall performance, and more options in the case that you decide to start tweaking in the future. They are also very stable boards.

I don't care for Asus myself, but many have used them with no problems. There are many manufacturers out there, so just look around and see what you can find.

Oh... and I would be curious as to your difficulties with WinXP. I'm using the Pro version and it is the most stable MS platform that I have ever used (with the exception of DOS, of course).
                    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                    My Toys

Comment

Originally posted by Darthtanion

I believe that a full reinstall will be required. The system will not run without it. I can say this with surety because I tried to bypass this step when I switched from a P3-600 to an AMD 1000. I too was using an i440BX based motherboard and went to a VIA one. It died a most horrible death (the OS that is).
                      OS death is not always going to happen. Just last week I swiched my wifes rig from a PII on a matrox (UHGG) mobo to a duron 1000 on a ecs k7s5a. It took about 20 mins but win98se installed all the drivers it could and then booted up. I then istalled the ecs drivers and all is working good. Saved my wifes mp3 files (which saved my ass)

Comment

I upgraded to the home version of xp, and It seemed like nothing was compatable with it. My printer wouldn't work and yes I updated the drivers. It was just a nightmare. Which mobo would you recomend? I found another site that had a package deal like the one I showed you earlier, except this one has the amd xp 2100 in it for $435.00. I'll surf the site and see if it has the KT333 chipset with it. I'll be bock lol:smokin:

Comment

I just got off the site I told you about and it does have the epox mobo with the kt-333 chipset in it. The link for the site is below. Check it out and tell me what you think.amd bundles

Comment

this reply might come up twice. My comp froze just I sent it the first time. I just got off the site I told you about before, and It does have the KT333 chipset in it. I've put a link to the site below. Check it out and tell me what you think. When you get to the site scroll down to the amd bundle with ddr 333 (second to the last)AMD Packages

Comment

That should be a very fast setup. ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X