Red hat 7.2/winx xp pro/win me boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red hat 7.2/winx xp pro/win me boot

??? that really covers it, how should I do it? Does thw win xp pro boot manager recognise linux o/s's or not, I guess not. Do I put win me on the primary partition of a hard drive then have atleast 3 logical partitions in an extended partition, one for linux, one for swap file, and one for XP?? Also compatibility wise, can red hat when using the ext3 file system read off any windows file systems, fat 32 or ntfs??? Would keeping most stuff, like video in a non o/s partition of fat32 make it readable by all o/s's??

Another kind of related question, can you install a game to same location with win xp and me , let it overwrite normal files, would this leave all the sys files it needed to run in both O/S's??

Originally posted by Unregistered
    [B]??? that really covers it, how should I do it? Does thw win xp pro boot manager recognise linux o/s's or not, I guess not. Do I put win me on the primary partition of a hard drive then have atleast 3 logical partitions in an extended partition, one for linux, one for swap file, and one for XP??
    Red hat ships with GRUB as the default boot loader and there is a multi boot with grub How-To at linuxdoc.org.
    [B]
    Also compatibility wise, can red hat when using the ext3 file system read off any windows file systems, fat 32 or ntfs??? Would keeping most stuff, like video in a non o/s partition of fat32 make it readable by all o/s's??
    Linux can read and write to fat32 (called vfat in linux) but can only read ntfs and only if you set it up after the install (you often need to recompile your kernel for ntfs read support). Since your installing winME as well then just use the fat32 partition to swap data between redhat and xp.
    [B]
    Another kind of related question, can you install a game to same location with win xp and me , let it overwrite normal files, would this leave all the sys files it needed to run in both O/S's??
    I think you can run a program installed in win9x from xp, but you better check that in the windoze forum :)
    p-two.net

Comment

Thankyou, i was just checking that what I knew was right. I only wanted to know about xp boot manager with linux because when i installed linux after win me a few weeks back, it wouldn't let me boot into windows, I tried to find help but everything suggested didn't work, and when i unistalled linux and formated the hd grub was still on there and stopped win me booting, had to reformat hd and lost all files i had.

Comment

Working...
      X